Welcome to Reviewster’s ‘Best Of 3-D Pens for 2017’ roundup post. We have two reviewers helping out on this one. Eric Byron and K.T. Borucki both have art backgrounds and are perfect individuals to give their opinions on each 3D pen.
It turns out these 3D pens are pretty nifty pieces of new tech. 3D pens have been designed to have a similar feel and look to a traditional pen or pencil. The medium of a 3D pen is plastic instead of ink or lead. These handheld tools have put the ability to create amazing pieces of 3D artwork right into the users’ hands. These pens make it possible to create 3D designs, models, accessories, jewelry, drawings, and so much more. All in all, from this reviewer’s perspective, this is an interesting and innovative new artistic technique. It’s no wonder these are becoming a popular item among those looking for ways to expand their creativity.
- 0.1 How Do 3-D Printing Pens Work
- 0.2 Best 3D Printing Pens 2017
- 0.3 Lix 3D Smart Pen – Most Smallest and Smartest 3D Pen Currently Available
- 1 MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen- Best For Kids
- 1.1 Scribbler 3D Printing Pen V3 – Notable Choice
- 1.2 3dSimo Mini – Only 3d Pen with Modules and Mobile App
- 1.3 7TECH 3D Printing Pen
- 1.4 ccbetter Intelligent Pen
- 1.5 GENESIS 3D Printing Pen Review
- 1.6 3Doodler 3d Printing Pen
- 1.7 Glyby Intelligent 3D Printing Pen
- 1.8 CreoPop 3D Printing Pen – Cordless 3D Pen
- 1.9 3D Pen Buyer’s Guide
- 1.10 The Final Say
How Do 3-D Printing Pens Work
The core of the 3D pen’s art is the plastic filaments that are used to create your artwork. Whereas an ordinary pen uses ink, or a pencil uses lead, the 3D pen uses plastic filaments to create. Much like the crafty glue gun, a 3D pen operates by heating up the plastic filaments that are inserted inside it. Once it’s heated to the correct temperature, the plastic melts and can then be “drawn” into pretty much anything you can envision.
A 3D pen will work on almost any surface imaginable. To start, you simply begin by creating an anchor by drawing a line up into the air from a flat surface. From there you can create your work by adding details and shapes. The plastic filaments are available in a variety of colors. The applications of this device seem to be endless.
The popularity of 3D pens means that there are now plenty to choose from on the market. With so many choices available, it can be difficult deciding which pen is best suited for you.
Best 3D Printing Pens 2017
We don’t want you to feel overwhelmed with choices, so we narrowed our list to the top 10 3D pens that are currently available on the market. We will include a short review of each pen’s features, and since we have two reviewers working on this one, we are going to give you two different opinions on each pen.
|Brand Name||Weight||Dimensions||LCD Display|
|Lix 3D Pen||45 grams||6.4 x 0.5 x 0.5 inches||LED Heat Indicator||Check Price|
|3dSimo Mini||40 grams||163 x 36 x 22 mm||Yes||Check Price|
|Scribbler 3D Pen V3||67 grams||6 x 2 x 4 inches||Yes||Check Price|
|7TECH 3D Printing Pen||65 grams||7.3 x 1.6 x 1.1 inches||Yes||Check Price|
|ccbetter Intelligent 3D Pen||55 grams||7 x 0.9 x 0.9 inches||Yes||Check Price|
|MYNT3D Printing 3D Pen||9.6 oz.||Yes||Check Price|
|GENESIS 3D Printing Pen||48 grams||7.9 x 5 x 3 inches||Yes||Check Price|
|3Doodler Pen||130 grams||7.5 x 1.5 x 4 inches||No||Check Price|
|Glyby Intelligent 3D Printing Pen||68 grams||8.5 x 6.5 x 2.5 inches||No||Check Price|
|CreoPop Cordless Pen||0.7 pounds||7 x 1.2 x 1.2 inches||No||Check Price|
Lix 3D Smart Pen – Most Smallest and Smartest 3D Pen Currently Available
This pen most attractive quality is its stylish and high quality appearance. It is known for its overall ease of use. The Lix 3D pen is top-notch in both appearance and performance.
- Small and easy to handle
- Classy, stylish appearance
- Heats and cools rapidly
- Always tethered to power source
MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen- Best For Kids
Next up is the MYNT3D printing pen. Before you wonder about the name, try to consider the expression “do not judge a book by its cover.” With that said, the Mynt3Den stunned us because we just weren’t anticipating something so outstanding. How is it remarkable? Let’s see.
As as compared to the other 3D printing pens we have tried and evaluated, the Mynt3D is slightly more large. Nevertheless, the 3D pen proved to be very good to handle and also not too bulky in any way. The slim design is easy to hold in the hand.
- Fantastic for kids
- Great for beginners
- Replaceable end
- Slim design
- USB powered/ battery banks
- Takes some time to become used to the controls
- Slightly on the large side
Scribbler 3D Printing Pen V3 – Notable Choice
The Scribbler V3 is an upgraded version of the legacy Scribbler Pen. The company has been around awhile, and through trial and error has been able to improve the quality of their 3D pen. Probably one of the best functions regarding this pen is the excellent ergonomics which make this pen such a breeze to use.
Currently, this 3D pen is offered in the following colors: Blue, Eco-friendly, Purple, Red, White, and Yellow.
To be clear, there seems to be little downside to this pen. As with all 3D pens, beginners may take some time to learn how to draw with it. Overall this is an excellent choice for all skill levels.
- Very lightweight
- Comes in 7 color choices
- Great for all skill levels
- Easy to use
- 6 speed levels help with precision
- The pen is easy to use, but does some take some practice to get used to
3dSimo Mini – Only 3d Pen with Modules and Mobile App
The 3dSimo mini is possibly the most innovative pen that we reviewed. It has a variety of attachments and can boast that it is the only pen that comes with an app. All the different tips come with the pen itself and do not have to ordered separately. The exchangeable tips attach easily to the pen with a magnet. The modules allow the pen to solder, cut foam, burn, and create 3d drawings. These functions go along with the return of the 3D drawing performance from the previous design.
The 3DSimo Mini is tiny enough to fit in the palm of a customer’s hand, whereas the initial 3DSimo was quite large, to the point where calling it a “pen” was a little bit of a stretch.
The main function of the 3DSimo Mini is still 3D drawing. It showcases an adjustable temperature level, so it could handle a vast array of prominent 3D printing materials including laybrick, ABS, PLA, PETG, COMPLETION, FLEXI, as well as laywood. From there, its up to the individual how far they will allow there 3D drawing to go.
This pen started as a kickstarter campaign, and easily got a lot attention and financial backing. It is not difficult to see why. On the whole, we were extremely satisfied with this 3D pen. The many attachments, uses and the innovative app make this pen stand out from the pack. This video will show the pen in action.
This pen is fantastic because you get so many uses in one little device. The drawing tip allows you to create everything a typical 3D pen would. You can create models, decorations, accessories, drawings and countless other things. Then simply switch the tip and you can transform this device into a burning, soldering or foam cutting appliance. All these options will take your 3d creations to new level and allow creative uses of other materials such as wood, leather or metal.
The neatest feature that comes with this pen, is the app that comes with it. It is compatible with iOS, Android, and Windows phones. The app allows to you to create different profiles and controls some basic functions of the pen. There are also some other options on the app including tutorial videos.
- Innovative design
- The exchangeable tips as well as filaments come with the purchase of the pen
- straightforward and easy to use
- pioneering mobile app
- could be better quality
- new 3d pen users may experience some difficulty getting started
The heat controls allow it be used with both ABS and PLA plastic filaments. It also has great speed controls to keep the pen from drawing to quickly or too slowly. Reportedly from many users this pen will function well over time. It also has been designed well and is not too bulky to hold. It does come with filaments, but what is provided will only be just enough to start, and more filaments will need to be purchased.
- User friendly
- Has an unclogging mechanism to prevent jams
- Budget friendly
- 1 year warranty
- Can become too hot.
- Not a great choice for children.
- Will have to purchase additional filaments pretty quickly.
The fourth on our list is the ccbetter Intelligent 3D Pen. Before we get into the details, you should know that this pen is also marketed under the name Joyluxy Intelligent 3D. With that said, the Smart 3D pen is just one of the very best 3D pens 2017 we have had the pleasure of reviewing. Speaking of features, the 3D pen is rather basic and has all the requirements any person would want in a 3D pen. With that out of the way, let’s take a better look at the CCbetter Intelligent 3D pen from Joyluxy.
- Nice design
- Easy to Use
- Can use both ABS or PLA filaments
There is not too much to complain about with this pen. It has a good reputation among most reviewers.
- Great warrranty
- High quality portable construction
- User friendly. Good for children and adults.
- May become too hot is used on a large project.
In all sincerity, we really did not find any disadvantages at all.This pen compares very well to all the other pens that we reviewed.
- Sleek and stylish
- Easy to use
- can use both ABS or PLA plastic filaments
- Takes some time to get used to using it.
- Heavier than other pens
Our next entry is the Glyby Intelligent 3D printing pen. Customers as well as individuals have hailed it as one of the most effective 3D printing pens ever before offered, and sure, it is nowhere near as good looking as the Lix 3D printing pen, however in regards to functionality, it is terrific.
- Very affordable
- Entertaining, and creative tool for children
- appealing in design for younger minds
- good for novice users
- more experienced users may want to find a more expensive tool
CreoPop 3D Printing Pen – Cordless 3D Pen
There is not much negative to say about this pen. If you desire something that is futuristic, easy to use, as well as fancy, you must absolutely get this one. The only problem we have is that currently, the ink is supplied only by one manufacturer, and in comparison, the plastic filaments used for other 3d pens can be purchased from multiple places and is in fact generally interchangeable between brands. The CreoPop 3D Cordless Printing Pen is outstanding as well as unique and will certainly make any art lover delighted.
- Unique and fancy design
- No heating element to melt plastic
- Creates long lasting objects
- Ink is only available from one company
- bulky in comparison to many other pens
3D Pen Buyer’s Guide
Before acquiring a 3D pen, you should become aquainted with how they work and what they can do. Each pen can have different functions, or have different heating temperature, or types of filament that it can melt. The newest pens available may now be quite different from the originals. 3D pens do not have a long history but they are many different types and styles.
The very first project of its kind was started as a kick starter product. Teh technology was not difficult to understand and many other pens soon made their way onto the market. The success of 3Doodler brought on the product, Scribbler. With manufacturings in China, Scribbler was still able to provide a 6-month service warranty plus return plan. If you have no idea what the best way to go about picking your 3D pen, this can be trickiest of markets.
3D innovation takes big steps as we talk. Nonetheless, there isn’t too much to learn about, in contrast to normal family electronic devices. Getting a grasp of this tech can be very easy. Advancement of this technology can become clear by comparing plastic and awesome ink pens.
3D plastic pen vs. Cool Ink pen
3Doodler and also Scribbler accounted for many of the 3D printing pens in the first wave of #d pens that were released. All of them used plastic for drawing 3D things in the air. The next step in the advancement of this technology took place through amazing ink pens. They made creating 3D projects as workable as plastic pens. With the removal of hot components, safer pens were created for all ages. These ink pens cam onto the market in September 2015.
At first these trendy ink pens were not able to actually draw int he air, but rather would be drawn on paper and later set up as a 3D object. It really did not match the feeling of drawing in the air. However companies like CreoPop started using UV light to help set the ink, and made true 3D drawing possible in ink pens.
What Else Can A 3D Pen Do?
What people want most from 3D pens is the ability to build 3D art or other fun objects. Pens need to be able to easily load filaments, have a good build quality, and a functioning style. Other features on the 3D pen, such as speed control, help create better more precise objects. Thermal controls are necessary since PLA and ABS as well other types of filaments have different melting points. Additional features included on some models are standby mode, large LCD displays, filament jamming systems, etc.
- Sort of control: Better quality pens provide individuals some control of pen functions. For example, thermal controls on plastic 3D pens produce better quality objects. Another type of control that pens can provide is the flow speed of the plastic filaments. Flexible temperature levels help to fine tune and create more precise drawings. Adjusting the speed controls the speed at which the object or artwork is drawn. Smart controls can completely change the 3D drawing experience.
- Design: It is important for 3D pens to have an ergonomic design. The pen design has an important role in how comfortable it is in your hand, and in the finished artwork. Currently the trend is to create slimmer pens such as the mini 3D from Lix. Pens have becoming smaller in scale. It is important that the pen does not obstruct your view from your artwork. The last consideration to keep in mind when it comes to 3D pen design is the weight of the pen. Lightweight pens are generally preferable, and seem to enhance the quality of your artwork.
- Filament type: The kind of filament used is important to the finished quality of your artwork . It plays a large role in an individual’s drawing style. It determines how you hold the pen. Currently there is large range of filaments available for use in 3D pens. It is important to refer to the pen to see which types are able to be used in each pen. A good rule thumb to follow is the easier it is to replace the filaments in the en the better it will be to use. This also extends the life of the pen.
- Trademark name: Considering the brand may have an impact on your buying choices. 3Doodler was the first developer of the 3D pen. Scribbler will provide a 6 month warranty with purchase of their pen. However, Scribbler also manufactures in China. There are other brands which manufacture at home such as Lix. It is always important to compare the different brands for quality, as well as pen features. Beware of false advertising.
- Check out Reviews: Consumer reviews may be your best bet to compare the different brands. While these are still relatively new technology, these pens have been on the market long enough now to earn reputations. Checking reviews from different sites would give you a good idea if a particular pen is the right fit for you, and if the pen lives up to its promises.
The Final Say
3D pens are a great investment for people looking for fun and creative ways to create new pieces of artwork and objects. While still somewhat expensive, there are affordable options available, and can bring artistic works to anew level.
These pens are still somewhat new, but the available brands and models have grown considerably. We hope this list can help clarify your options , and help you choose the best pen for you.