What You Need to Know When Shopping for a .45
Regardless of what your purpose is in buying a gun, it is essential that you read this review first so you won’t end up blaming yourself for purchasing the wrong one. The number one reason why people buy a gun these days is for protection. In the past, only those who were into target shooting purchase guns such as .380 or .22 cal. With the increasing demand for guns, the number of weapons being manufactured each year has also increased. As a result, new gun owners are having a hard time deciding which gun to buy due to the sheer number of choices.
One of the best types of pistols is the .45 caliber handgun. To help you in choosing the right weapon for you, we have created this buying guide. This post includes the things you need to consider when selecting a gun, and the top 5 best .45 caliber pistol reviews on the market today.
1. Rock Island 1911 (Editor’s Choice)
2. Remington 1911
3. S&W M&P 45
4. HIgh-Point 34510
5. S&W Shield
Things to Consider When Buying a .45 Caliber Handgun
Before heading to the gun store or purchasing one online, you need to consider first the reason you need a .45 Caliber pistol. Once you have decided that this is the type of weapon you want, you need to check the features of each gun carefully.
How it Fits Your Hand
When choosing a .45 Caliber pistol, you need to ensure that it will fit your hand comfortably. Some people have smaller hands and may have a hard time reaching the trigger. Others have bigger hands, which makes it hard to look for a gun that will fit in their hands. You can also find handguns with interchangeable back grips, which affect the thickness of the grip. If you are left-handed, you can buy an ambidextrous firearm.
It is important that the gun must feel comfortable to you. Each time you pick it up, it should have a natural feel as if it is an extension of your hand. If the gun fits your hand correctly, you will be comfortable each time you pick it up, and learning to shoot it will become more relaxed.
The Handgun Should Be of High-Quality
Many people purchase a .45 caliber pistol for protection against bad elements at home or to bring outside concealed. For a firearm you can take anywhere you go, you need something that is lightweight, easy to hide, and has lots of firepower. A pistol may cost you around $500, so make sure that you are buying a quality firearm. If you need a gun to save your life, you need a gun that will shoot every time you pull the trigger without any problem.
It Should Have a Smooth Trigger
Some weapons have a good quality trigger, but others have a very rough one from the factory. But, a professional gunsmith can quickly fix this without any problem. A smooth trigger is as essential as the two factors above. A smooth trigger will make it easier to have better trigger control, therefore better accuracy when shooting.
Top 5 Best .45 Handgun Reviews
Here are some of the best .45 handguns that you can consider buying:
Heckler & Koch HK45
This brand was an improved version of the highly-regarded USP45. The Heckler & Koch HK45 has various user-inspired enhancements, including an accessory rail with Picatinny MIL-STD-1913, more controls for left or right-handed users, changeable grip panels, and better ergonomics. This pistol was developed for the Joint Combat Pistol plan replacement for the commonly used M9 by the U.S. military. The barrels are made of cold-hammer forging procedure for optimum performance and increased life-span of the handgun.
- Ergonomic grip with interchangeable grip panels to control the feel and grip area of the weapon and fit it to the user’s hand size.
- HK property O-Ring barrel for accurate barrel-to-slide lockup.
- Primary MIL-STD 1913 Rail shaped into the dust cover polymer frame for laser targeting, for mounting lights, and other fittings.
- Ambidextrous Controls make it easier for left or right-handed users to control the gun.
- Has polygonal rifling for extended life of the barrel and optimum accuracy.
Beretta Px4 Storm Review
This pistol was built with the idea that a handgun can be adapted to various needs and manners of operations without affecting the ergonomics and the renowned Beretta performance and dependability. The Beretta focuses on ease of handling, reliability, power, and performance. Aside from the .45 caliber, it is also available in two other calibers. It has a modern design locked breech with a rotating barrel system.
The Beretta is designed this way to minimize recoil every time you fire, thus improving the shooter’s overall accuracy and generating more accurate shooting during rapid-firing. It is also recommended as an excellent defense weapon at home and as part of your collection.
- For fast attachment of laser-aiming tools and tactical lights, Beretta Px4 has an integral Picatinny MIL-STD-1913 rail.
- It has a safety feature that will block the firing pin automatically to prevent forward movement until the trigger is pulled back completely. It is positioned rearward, away from the debris and fouling of the breech face, and is evident so users can ascertain its function. Even if you drop the pistol accidentally on a hard surface, the pin will not strike the primer.
- Just like other brands, it has an ambidextrous safety lever that can be accessed easily by the thumb for both left and right-handed shooters. It is spring-loaded; thus, it is either positively on or off. This feature also has a decocking lever. If you push down the bar, the back area of the firing pin is removed.
- The handgun has backstraps of different sizes to fit the user’s hand. The checkered backstraps ensure a better grip both in dry or wet shooting situations.
- The gun has a reversible magazine release button to allow customization to the person’s hand size.
- It has simple field stripping that is extremely simple and fast. The disassembly handle does not remove the gun, preventing accidental dropping. Because of its unique design, incorrect assembly is avoided.
- It has a locking system, and a rotating barrel dispels drawback energy radially, reduces felt recoil, and rises muzzle.
- Its polymer frame is light and sturdy, employs modern thermoplastic technology by the use of the corrosion-resistant fiberglass frame.
Springfield XD 45 Review
The Springfield XD reputation in ergonomics, handling, and intuitive operation is taken into a higher level with the introduction of the M-Factor. With the XD, you also get a lot of options for a customized fit right out of the box.
- This handgun has a minimal reset trigger. It has shorter travel as compared to other polymer pistols that keep you on target quickly, and achieve more precise follow-up shots.
- The match grade barrel of this gun takes it to a new level and allows for BMT APLP, +P, +P+, round firing.
- It has a melonite finish, making it thicker and allowing it to resist corrosion.
- The process of disassembling is simple, with fewer chances of committing errors.
- The rail system can be adjusted in many ways. It has a Picatinny rail that you can position in three different ways that accept lasers, lights, or other fittings. More radically, shooters can adjust their hand position easily.
- It has interchangeable mould-tru backstraps to make it more comfortable to handle and to fit your hand perfectly.
- To prevent accidental discharge from bumping or dropping, the manufacturer uses the USA Trigger System. It locks the gun’s trigger in position until pressure is applied.
- The loaded chamber indicator lets the user verify if there is a round in the chamber visually, or by touch.
Glock 21 Review
It is also called the “big bore” .45 caliber made in the USA. Americans have maintained a good relationship with the timeless pistol. This handgun provides you all you would need from a .45 handgun. Law enforcement units prefer this pistol as it has an above-average magazine capacity of thirteen rounds.
- It has octagonal polygonal rifling that offers stronger gas cover in bigger diameter rifled bores as an octagon resembles more of a circle than a hexagon.
- The Internal Locking System is activated manually and situated at the rear part of the pistol’s grip. It is designed cylindrically, and each has a unique feature when activated. The lock forces the tab to protrude from the back of the grip, providing both a tactile and visual indication whether the lock is engaged or not, and renders the gun un-fireable and hard to disassemble.
- The loaded chamber indicator shows that there is a cartridge, a real metal edge that protrudes slightly behind the ejection port on the right side.
- This gun is lightweight and is very durable because its magazine body, frame, and other parts are made from a high-quality nylon-based polymer known as Polymer 2. This material is made from specially formulated plastic to make it more durable and more resilient as compared to carbon steel and steel alloys. The Polymer 2 is resistant to temperature, caustic liquids, and shock.
Smith & Wesson M&P .45 Review
This CA Compliant Smith & Wesson has three interchangeable Palmswell grip sizes and has an improved polymer chassis, proven safety features, ambidextrous controls, and superior ergonomics. It has the latest standard in dependability when your work is to serve and protect and if your life is in danger and to defend your home against harmful elements.
In the construction of the M&P, they believed the demands of military and law enforcement from every imaginable angle. No other polymer pistols provide this combination of adaptability, durability, and safety. Also, the gun is supported by the Lifetime Service Policy of Smith & Wesson.
- Ambidextrous Design for decocking/safety tools, move stop tools, and magazine release knob.
- This .45 pistol has mounting rail MIL-STD 1913 Accessory for secure attachment of flashlight, laser, or any other needed tools.
- For added comfort and a perfect fit for the firearm, it has interchangeable backstraps. Pick the one with three backstraps for a customized fit.
- The Smith & Wesson offers a lifetime service policy that guarantees you they will fix any defect in material or craft for free as long as you are the original owner of the gun.
The Need of a Gun Safe For a .45
If you are thinking of the safety of your children, a gun safe is a must. Safety is tantamount to having a gun. The safe should include a lock to keep the weapon in a safe place. Place the safe in a secured area that your children cannot access. Kids these days are very intelligent, and if they get their hands on the gun, it will mean disaster.
In choosing a gun safe, choose the one that enables you to access your weapon easily. Here are other things that you need to keep in mind:
- If you prefer a combination safe, create a combination that is hard to figure out mainly by your children.
- If your children are around, never try to open your safe, unless you are in an emergency situation.
- You need to access the safe easily, but make sure it cannot be removed or taken away from its location. It will minimize gun thefts, to keep your guns out of criminal hands.
- Mention to your children about gun safety and employ strict penalties if you see them accessing your firearm.
The Law and Safety Tips
You need to abide by gun laws in your state when buying a firearm as well as those at the federal level.
- Make sure that your ownership papers and identification are up-to-date.
- In case of lost or stolen weapons, report immediately to the police.
- Practice safety every time you need to carry, clean, or fire your gun at the range. The majority of accidents that happen involving guns are self-inflicted and because the owner assumed that the gun chamber was empty.
Whatever your purpose is in buying a .45 caliber pistol may be, make sure that you keep safety in mind. You are buying the weapon to keep your family safe and protected from bad elements. You need to be a responsible gun owner.
Be notified about new posts
Sign up with your email for our newsletter and be notified when we publish new blog posts. Don’t miss valuable advices.