Getting your hands on a firearm has become quite effortless these days. Depending on the gun laws in your area, you may have to go through a background check, and that is it.
If you can go through that, you can get a gun for self-defense and other legitimate needs. However, owning a gun is nevertheless a serious job. You cannot keep a registered firearm here and there, for instance.
Nor is it ideal to keep your guns in a common area. If your kids or someone else messes up with these powerful devices, the results would not be bearable.
So, keeping your guns safe but accessible — so that you do not have to rush during emergencies — is quite essential. Given that traditional gun safes are not the most convenient option, we must focus our attention on biometric gun safes on the market. Biometric gun safes bring the best of both worlds, in our opinion. On the one hand, these safes offer best-in-class protection from kids, burglars, etc.
On the other hand, you do not have to memorize the passcode combination or carry around the key to open the firearm. Some types of biometric gun safes are designed for quick access as well.
That is, you can retrieve the gun as soon as you finish the fingerprint authentication.
As you can guess, biometric gun safes are more expensive than traditional models. In recent years, following the demand for gun safes, we have seen the rise of cost-effective alternatives.
In this guide, we have found some of the best biometric gun safes on the market. We have also taken a few steps to diversify the products included in the list.
Therefore, in addition to products from different pricing brackets, you can find different types of biometric gun safes that protect you.
|1. VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Smart Safe || ||Check Price|
|2. SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock || ||Check Price|
|3. Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe || ||Check Price|
|4. BARSKA Biometric Safe || ||Check Price|
|5. GunVault Speedvault Biometric Pistol Safe || ||Check Price|
#1 Winner: VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Smart Safe
- Size: 11.5” x 9.0” x 2.75”
- Material: 16-gauge high tensile steel
- Alarm: Tamper Alarm, Security Alarm
The VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Smart Safe is one of the best-rated biometric gun safes on the market right now. This product combines one of the best designs with many advanced features. Whether you want to use all these features is entirely up to you. Nevertheless, the safe can help you protect your handgun, passport, and a few other valuable items from multiple threats. However, you must know that the gun safe is on the premium side.
- The VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Smart Safe comes with a truly compact design. You can easily carry this around or keep it in your car. As we mentioned earlier, you can store more than a handgun.
- You can choose between four authentication modes: Manual Key, Backlit Keypad, Biometric Scanner, and Bluetooth App. Even if one fails, you have multiple secure ways to access your pistol or valuables.
- The device uses a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery that can last for months. Therefore, you do not have to worry about replacements at all times.
- The Auto-Open Lid adds so much value. Using the biometric scanner, keys, or the number pad, the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Smart Safe opens automatically for quick access.
- It is also worth noting that the product complies with TSA guidelines. The steel security cable does a lot of wonders as well.
- The manufacturer has used dual anti-impact latches, quick-release cable, and anti-pry reinforcement bars for enhanced security. These elements do not affect the usability, though.
- Some reviews have reported a few errors while using the smart lock system. Also, you cannot rely on the Bluetooth-app method if you want quick access to your firearm.
- Despite the product’s versatility, the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Smart Safe is a premium option in the market. You cannot choose this if you are looking for savings.
The VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Smart Safe lets you keep track of the system using an Android or iOS device. You can connect the app to the safe via Bluetooth and know the status.
For instance, you can keep track of battery status, history log, manage fingerprints, and even toggle some features.
The manufacturer has optimized the handgun safe for ultimate usability. For instance, the device will light up the keypad using the proximity sensor. So, even if you are not in a properly lit area, you would not have trouble using the keypad to open the safe.
We cannot recommend the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Smart Safe to everyone due to some obvious reasons.
In the end, you have to spend a substantial amount to get your hands on this handgun safe. Even then, you cannot store more than a handgun, your passport, and a few small elements inside the safe. But, in our opinion, the smart unlocking options and auto-open lid add sufficient value to the package. You would not have to spend any extra money on accessories, either.
#2 Runner-up: SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock
There are times when you need maximum security without any fancy features. The SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock will be your next best option when dealing with gun safes.
Once again, we have a pistol-storage gun safe in front of us. You can use this model to store only one unit at a time. Even though you have to make a few compromises on the way, this biometric gun safe stays sturdy and reliable, regardless of where you keep it.
- Like our winner pick, the SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock is also made using various stainless steel. Therefore, you do not have to worry about tempering.
- The biometric fingerprint scanner on the device works all the time flawlessly. The setup process is an easy task, and you can store multiple fingerprints for collaborative access to the valuables.
- The SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock has used a gas strut to open the lid as soon as you put a registered fingerprint. This feature will help you a lot during emergencies.
- In addition to the super-fast biometric authentication system, the manufacturer has added a number-based combination lock. Thanks to the ambient light, you can use this system even during the night.
- Compared to our winner pick, the SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock is very compact. It does not seem bulky, and you would have an excellent time keeping it anywhere.
- Despite using a simple design, SentrySafe has increased the security to the maximum level. The fully-steel construction and soft interior lining are some of these options.
- The SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock does not come with a rechargeable battery. It does not even include the required batteries in the package. We expected better judging by its price.
- Some reviews indicate that the gas strut arm on the inside stops working after some time. Of course, you can open the lid manually, but we expected better durability in this respect.
- You cannot expect maximum battery life from the SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock by using random batteries. So, you have to get four premium-quality AA batteries for the best results.
Some gun safes may forget about protecting what you store inside. However, the SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock does not make this mistake.
The soft interior can protect your handgun and wallet from even the most catastrophic incidents.
Apart from the standard mounting options, you can also take some extra measures. If you can get the bolt-down kit, you can add some reinforcement to the equipment.
Adding a couple of bolts extra to the package can help you create a safer place from where you can access the firearm.
By choosing the SentrySafe QAP1BE Gun Safe with Biometric Lock over our winner pick, you can save a good amount of money.
However, you will have to give up some security-focused features. Even then, this safe is a great way to provide rugged protection to your devices on any day.
Combining the digital keypad and the fingerprint system adds so much value. You would not need it most of the time, but the kit comes with an override key as well.
#3 Alternative: Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe
If you think our winner pick and runner-up pick are too small, you must consider the Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe alternative. This biometric safe creates a super-effective space where you can store your firearms and other essential documents. The best part about the product is its versatility. You can use this safe for your home, office, or hybrid needs with ease. You get a good number of features too.
- The Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe has been made using steel. More importantly, it uses a motorized deadbolt locking mechanism to protect all your valuables.
- The fingerprint authentication system is one of the best you can find in the market. In addition to the PIN, you can set up a maximum of 32 fingerprints. It is an excellent choice for offices.
- Thanks to the high-quality material and the structure, the Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe is very resistant to prying. The audible alarm can alert you at times, nevertheless.
- Like the improved optical sensor and other hardware inside, the safe exterior also looks dope. It will be a stunning addition to your bedroom or the living room.
- While the product is one of the best, Viking Security Safe should improve its after-sales services. Currently, it is not up to the mark.
- Some reviews indicate that the PIN system on the device is not as effective as the fingerprint system. On the bright side, you get a fallback key in the package.
We could not find any noteworthy extra features in the Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe.
The Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe is a fantastic choice if you need a high-volume safe to keep track of your firearms.
Even though there are some caveats, this device can ensure the best security for your valuables.
#4 Alternative: BARSKA Biometric Safe
- Size: 14.5” x 16.5” x 7.75”
- Material: Aluminum
- Alarm: Audible
If you look for maximum storage space and a premium design, you must consider this biometric safe from BARSKA. Even though you have to spend a considerable amount of money, the BARSKA Biometric Safe delivers one of the best security standards that we have seen. However, this product does not offer you any fancy features.
- The BARSKA Biometric Safe has been built using Aluminum and offers one of the most rugged designs we have seen. The design has been optimized to resist any tampering as well.
- Even though the design looks compact from the outside, you can accommodate quite a few things in the storage compartment. You can easily keep multiple firearms and their ammo with zero hassle.
- The BARSKA Biometric Safe is also built for different needs. The fingerprint system can record up to 120 fingerprints. And the recognition process takes only 2.5 seconds.
- Last but not least, the package comes inclusively. You get all the batteries and connection modules to get started. The company has even included a protective mat.
- While we appreciate the build quality of the BARSKA Biometric Safe, we think the company can add a few fallback unlock mechanisms.
- Because of the design that it has used, this product does not offer any quick-eject option. Therefore, you have to rely on manual opening even during emergencies.
We could not find any exceptional extra features in the BARSKA Biometric Safe package.
The BARSKA Biometric Safe is not a perfect solution. It comes with a few quirks, and you have to pay a high amount for the product. But, if you can afford that amount, this heavy gun safe can be a great way to protect your firearms and other essential items.
#5 Alternative: GunVault Speedvault Biometric Pistol Safe
The final product on this list, the GunVault Speedvault Biometric Pistol Safe, comes with a unique design. It is excellent for those who want to use their firearms quite frequently.
There is also the convenience of attaching the gun safe to a place where you want. Regardless of this simplicity, the product does not make any compromises in terms of sturdiness.
- The biometric fingerprint scanner on the GunVault Speedvault Biometric Pistol Safe works flawlessly, regardless of where you place it. The activation button and the sensor are always on-point.
- The quick-eject function on the device is excellent for those who use the firearm regularly. The design helps in emergency scenarios as well.
- The fingerprint system also packs some essential features. For instance, you can store up to 20 unique fingerprints for access.
- Thanks to the 18-gauge construction, the GunVault Speedvault Biometric Pistol Safe does not comply with prying. As long as you install the safe properly, you have nothing to worry about.
- Despite the powerful functions, the GunVault Speedvault Biometric Pistol Safe does not come with an alarm. We believe it is a great feature to have.
Even though the GunVault Speedvault Biometric Pistol Safe does not cost a lot, it has added some premium features to the package.
For instance, you can use the interior courtesy light to choose the right element from the cabin. It also uses a convenient 9V battery for powering the entire system.
We cannot recommend the GunVault Speedvault Biometric Pistol Safe to all gun owners. However, if you have a firearm that fits in the cabin and wants quick-access options, you should get this package.
In addition to all the features, the product comes with backup keys.
Biometric Gun Safes on The Market FAQ
Are biometric gun safes reliable?
Biometric gun safes are reliable from any point of view. Instead of a combination lock-pad that is easy to crack, biometric gun safes use your fingerprint as the pass-through key.
So, instead of typing a code that you may often forget, you can place your finger on the pad. After this, the gun safe may either eject the firearm or disable the lock — until you close the lid again.
Here is the crucial thing. The locking mechanism on biometric gun safes is as reliable as traditional gun safes. Instead of a key/lock-pad system, a biometric safe uses a more advanced authentication method.
In other words, you do not have to worry about the reliability of a fingerprint-based gun safe. The fingerprint reader system only escalates the security of the firearm since nobody except you can open the safe.
Are fingerprint safes secure?
Fingerprint safes are secure and convenient in both theory and practice. Once you have set up the safe and registered the fingerprints, you can enjoy maximum security for your firearms.
Because there is no lock-pad-based combination, nobody can guess the numbers and gain access. Similarly, because you do not use keys, stealing the keys to open the safe would not be possible, either.
Most fingerprint safes come with long-lasting batteries from the market. So, you can expect them to run for several years without requiring battery replacement.
Even in the worst-case scenario where the battery and the biometric authentication system do not work, you can use the fallback mechanism. You will get a fallback key with fingerprint safes.
You can keep the key in an utmost secure place for the worst-case scenarios.
What is a biometric lock?
A biometric lock is a type of lock that uses personally identifiable information such as fingerprint and retinal scan instead of a traditional key/lock-pad system.
So, instead of inserting the key or typing the passcode, users can verify themselves using the fingerprint scanner or the retinal scanner. Once the machine recognizes your identity, it will open the lock and make things accessible.
It is worth noting that different types of biometric locks exist. Some of these locks may even use a combo of fingerprint scanner and a combination lock.
However, the user will have to unlock the fingerprint module before entering the combination. We should also mention the case of biometric locks that use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for identity confirmation.
In general, these locks offer advanced protection from unauthorized use of valuable items, such as guns and jewelry.
What is the safest door lock?
The answer depends on the type of door you want to lock. However, in most cases, experts recommend that you go for deadbolts.
Deadbolts are pretty heavy and protective. Therefore, you cannot easily break the lock using external forces. At the same time, the lock-key mechanism would work fine as long as there is no interruption.
So, everything will be smooth from the user’s point of view.
Therefore, if you have plans to build the most secure door, you should consider deadbolts.
By the way, you must keep in mind that many types of door locks use the deadbolts system. For instance, even if you want a smart unlock system, you can easily find a smart door lock that uses deadbolts.
Before you confirm, you have to see if the environment is suitable for safety.
In some cases, setting up a deadbolts-based lock can harm the construction. It may happen if you have used non-premium wood for building the main door.
As long as you choose the right option, biometric gun safes are the best way to keep your firearms secure at all times. As you have seen, there is an option to choose between different sizes and features.
Depending on the nature and frequency of your firearm usage, you can pick one of our recommendations.
For instance, if you use firearms regularly, getting a gun safe with a quick-eject function makes sense. Sure, it is a great feature for emergency scenarios as well.
Similarly, based on the threats you are exposed to, you will have to choose the required amount of ruggedness.
Alternatively, you can get one of the safes with a tamper alarm, which will alert you in case of physical intervention. In the end, we think our five selected options help you make the right pick.
Be notified about new posts
Sign up with your email for our newsletter and be notified when we publish new blog posts. Don’t miss valuable advices.