Unlike the old days, you do not have to spend thousands of dollars to get decent firearms from the market.
You also have a fantastic collection of options to choose from. However, regardless of how much you spend on the gun, you cannot compromise when it comes to keeping it clean and accessible at all times. Here is a problem, though.
You cannot use the standard cleaning tools and solutions to clean your gun. Instead, you need a set of tools to address the specific gun cleaning needs.
More importantly, you need a place to keep all the cleaning tools and carry them around. It is where gun cleaning kits come in.
A well-designed gun cleaning kit can solve most of the problems you encounter when trying to keep a firearm clean. First of all, these kits come with devices that you may not even hear about outside the gun enthusiast circles.
Second, you do not have the struggle of going through a random bunch of tools when you want to detail your gun. Besides all these, a professional gun cleaning kit can help you clean various firearms types.
It means you can have worry-free maintenance of all the guns in your collection. This article lists some of the best gun cleaning kits on the market right now.
We understand that both beginners and veterans like to keep their firearms clean, safe, and sound. That is why we have included beginner-friendly and professional-grade cleaning kits in this guide. Shall we check them?
Our Best Gun Cleaning Kits Comparison Table
|1. Allen Company Ultimate Universal Gun Cleaning Kit
|2. Smith & Wesson M&P Compact Pistol Cleaning Kit Review
|3. Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit Review
|4. Otis Technology Cleaning Kit 5.56/.223 Review
|5. Real Avid Gun Boss Multi-Kit 9mm Review
Our Best Gun Cleaning Kits Reviews and Comparisons
Winner: Allen Company Ultimate Universal Gun Cleaning Kit
- Best for: Handgun, Rifle, and Shotgun
- Number of Pieces: 65
We believe you should check out the Allen Company Ultimate Universal Gun Cleaning Kit if you have a diverse collection of firearms. This cleaning comes with almost all the equipment you need to clean your handguns, rifles, and shotguns.
Nevertheless, because the package is universal, you will not have any trouble using the tools to detail a bit unconventional guns, either. We should also note that Allen Company has been making gun cleaning kits for decades. It means the company knows what you expect from a comprehensive detailing kit for your firearms.
- As we said, the Allen Company Ultimate Universal Gun Cleaning Kit is very comprehensive. It comes with 65 pieces, including equipment dedicated to specific guns. For instance, you can find a good variety of cotton swabs for shotguns, rifles, and pistols. Since the company has designed this equipment with proper care, you will not harm the guns in any way.
- The kit contains various shotguns and the cleaning equipment for typical pistol and rifle calibers. You can find cleaning equipment that works perfectly with 12 gauge, 20 gauge, and .410 bore shotguns. You can also find bronze shotgun bore brushes for all these categories. As a beginner, this comprehensive collection will be a solace for you.
- Even though the product offers general cleaning options, it is perfect for those who own handguns, rifles, and shotguns for the first time. We do not recommend mixing and matching the 65 pieces. Yet, you have some kind of freedom in deciding the type of cleaning you want. For instance, if you clean your firearms often, you will be okay with the preliminary cleaning tools.
- You may think it is challenging to manage all the 65 components in this gun cleaning kit. Well, it is where the toolbox comes in. This well-designed box comes with removable trays and latches. While the trays allow you to customize what you carry around, the dual-latch system offers the best level of safety.
- People who are new to firearm collection need to go through the documentation provided by Allen Company. While we appreciate how comprehensive the collection is, you may have trouble choosing the choices from the package. As we said, the cleaning kit contains multiple variants of each cleaning equipment.
- Some veteran gun owners have complained that the small compartments you can find on the Allen Company Ultimate Universal Gun Cleaning Kit are a little challenging to handle. The company could make them a bit bigger. However, they reassure that the latch system works perfectly, regardless of the usage frequency.
You may have trouble finding the right chemicals and cleaning cloths for your gun on your own. But the Allen Company Ultimate Universal Weapon Gun Cleaning Kit has got you covered. The company has included many extra patches and cleaning cloths in the package. They work fine with the attached cleaning chemicals as well.
We should also appreciate the quality of the customer service from Allen Company. You can rely on its tech support and customer service if you run into problems. It is improbable, considering that the product offers one of the best constructions for the toolbox and the container. You cannot expect these features from most other brands.
The Allen Company Ultimate Universal Weapon Gun Cleaning Kit is undoubtedly one of the best choices on the market. While the toolbox is more extensive, you can count on the comprehensive nature of the cleaning kit.
For most people, including veterans, the 65 pieces of cleaning tech in this kit are more than enough. We also think Allen Company has done a great job in terms of construction quality and usability. However, you must note that the kit is not as compact as some other market options.
Runner-up: Smith & Wesson M&P Compact Pistol Cleaning Kit
- Best for: Handguns
- Number of pieces: Not Specified
If you think our winner piece is overkill for your needs, you can consider the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact Pistol Cleaning Kit. As you can guess from the name, the package has been designed for pistols only. It means you may not have the ideal experience using the equipment to clean a rifle or a shotgun.
On the bright side, if you own only a handgun, this cleaning kit will be a sufficiently robust option. We must also mention that it is one of the most compact cleaning kits on the market. If you think you belong to this specific crowd, you can blindly choose this kit.
- Like we mentioned earlier, the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact Pistol Cleaning Kit is a dedicated set of tools. If you want to manage your pistols and clean them for the perfect health, the tools included in the kit are enough. From brushes to deep cleaners, an immense variety of hardware constitutes this package.
- You can use this cleaning kit to detail an impressive variety of handguns. In terms of compatibility, it works with .22, mm, .357, .38, .40, 10mm, .44, and .45 caliber handguns. Long story short, you will not have trouble using this cleaning kit for almost every handgun you come across. More importantly, all the included hardware ensures effective cleaning as well.
- Compared to the other gun cleaning kits you can find on the market, this kit is very compact. As you can see in the image, Smith & Wesson M&P Compact Pistol Cleaning Kit is small in size and arranges all the cleaning equipment in an easy-to-access manner. Because every piece snaps into place, you will not have trouble choosing the right tool every single time.
- Despite the minimal size and design, the manufacturer of the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact Pistol Cleaning Kit has not compromised the construction quality. For instance, even if you live off the grid and want a cleaning kit that keeps up with the rough environments, this cleaning kit will be a superb choice.
- If you ever plan to expand your gun collection, the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact Pistol Cleaning Kit can be a bit restrictive. As we have seen, it does not include any cleaning hardware made for rifles or shotguns. Sure, you can use the components in a makeshift scenario, but that is it. As such, you will need to buy a different product.
- Even though this compact pistol cleaning kit offers best-in-class compatibility and features, you miss many things you need for a comprehensive cleaning experience. For example, the company does not include cleaning chemicals or cleaning cloths in the package. It means you will have to spend on those things separately.
We loved how well-designed the protective case with this product is. The protective case offers a safe way to store all the essential components in the kit. Thanks to this design, you can carry this kit around without much hassle. We cannot say the same about most of the pistol cleaning kits on the market, you know. The construction quality is excellent, especially considering how much we pay.
As it stands, the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact Pistol Cleaning Kit is not for everyone. We can recommend this product to those who have begun their journey with pistols, though. The entire kit retains the ‘essential’ tag and does a pretty good job.
However, we think the maker could have improved the variety of cleaning equipment in the kit. Considering the amount you shell out buying this product, we believe it is a worthwhile investment for most pistol owners.
Alternative: Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit
- Best for: Pistols, rifles, and shotguns
- Number of pieces: Not Specified
Our winner-pick was a universal gun cleaning kit, but it was too big for some people. On the other hand, our runner-up was a very compact gun cleaning kit, but it is made for pistols only. But the Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit brings the best of both worlds.
You essentially get a universal gun cleaning kit that you can carry around without any hassle. More importantly, just like our winner pick did, this kit allows you to clean pistols, rifles, and shotguns with the same ease.
- The Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit is versatile in many senses. Most importantly, you get many tools that you can use to clean shotguns, rifles, and pistols. The company has designed all these tools with best-in-class precision as well. We think it is a great value addition for those who want to expand their gun collection.
- The manufacturer has included some extra components in the package. For instance, the kit comes with the gun bore cleaner and lubricating oil. You can combine these cleaning chemicals with the included hardware for overall improved safety. The three-piece brass rod also comes in handy more often than you think.
- We also loved how compact and manageable the Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit package is. Most components in the package snap into the right place within the carry case, but you can add a few extra boxes if you want. Hoppe has also included a well-detailed booklet that helps you get on with these tools.
- While the Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit offers some kind of versatility, compatibility is a bit different than you imagine. Many of the package work components with only a few types of rifles and pistols. For instance, the bronze brushes will only work with .22 and .30 caliber rifles. If you have a rifle with a different caliber, you may need another cleaning kit.
We are not sure if this counts as an extra feature, but you can use Hoppe’s No. 9 Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit along with various products from the manufacturer. You can rely on the cleaning materials and oils if you want the best results. We also loved the impressive amount of documentation you can get from the official websites.
You should get this gun cleaning kit if you want an essential package for pistols, rifles, and shotguns. The kit comes with a good set of lubrication oils and cleaning chemicals. It is also very compact that you can take the equipment almost anywhere. Nevertheless, you should not expect the same quantity of tools you saw in our first pick.
Alternative: Otis Technology Cleaning Kit 5.56/.223
- Best for: Pistols
- Number of Pieces: 30+
If you are looking for an even more compact gun cleaning kit, you should consider the Otis Technology Cleaning Kit 5.56/.223 offers. Apart from the fact that it comes in a super-handy pack, the package contains a variety of cleaning equipment you need for cleaning your pistols.
However, you may need to get another gun cleaning kit if you want something more advanced. The company has also included many elements that we could not find with other brands’ products.
- You notice the first and foremost thing in the Otis Technology Cleaning Kit 5.56/.223 package is the compact design itself. The company has designed the carry case to house all the equipment in a very easy-to-access manner. For instance, the pull handles and the dedicated compartments for cables add value in the long run.
- The manufacturer has included an 8-inch and 30-inch Memory-Flex cable, making the cleaning process more straightforward than ever. The best part? You can use the cable to clean the entire gun, from breech to muzzle, in a single instance. Because the material is aircraft-grade, you do not have to worry about any durability-based accidents, either.
- Removing carbon debris and another waste from bolt carriers is challenging while cleaning guns. However, thanks to the B.O.N.E. Tool that Otis Technology has included, you can simplify the process. And you can do this without affecting the safety or durability of the firearm, which is excellent. This is a time-saving addition as well.
- Even though you get some premium cleaning equipment in the package, this gun cleaning kit from Otis Technology is an essential option only. You cannot use this package to fulfill all your gun cleaning needs. Often, you may feel that you miss some elements, such as the t-handle. We think the maker could work on this aspect.
Because the Otis Technology Cleaning Kit 5.56/.223 comes with lubrication oils and other chemicals. You can have a smooth cleaning process on any day. This comes in handy if you do not have prior experience in cleaning firearms.
We think you should choose this cleaning kit if you need a combination of compact design and a premium set of features. While it is true that you do not get as many cleaning components as you expect, the makers have included a good amount of features. It also helps you carry around the protective case with minimal hassle.
Alternative: Real Avid Gun Boss Multi-Kit 9mm
- Best for: Handguns
- Number of Pieces: Not Specified
The final product on our list, the Real Avid Gun Boss Multi-Kit 9mm is not made for all guns. You can use it to clean only 9mm caliber handguns. If you have only one of those handguns and want to keep it clean, it is a fantastic product to have, though.
Like some of the other gun cleaning kits we have listed, this one comes with an easy-to-carry case as well. This could also be one of the most compact pistol cleaning kits you can find on the market.
- Compared to any other cleaning kit we have mentioned, the Real Avid Gun Boss Multi-Kit 9mm is an impressively compact system. If you have a handgun chambered in 9mm, .357cal, and .38cal, you can consider the package. Rest assured, you can expect a super-smooth cleaning process at the end of the day.
- Conveniently enough, the pistol cleaning kit comes with an alternative bore cleaning solution. When combined with the included cleaning equipment, you can maintain your handguns in the best ways possible. You can also attain top-to-bottom perfection without spending too much, which is superb for most beginners.
- Despite being small and ergonomic, the Real Avid Gun Boss Multi-Kit 9mm does not compromise the cleaning equipment inside. It means you can enjoy a premium-quality gun cleaning kit at a fraction of what you would typically pay. We think this is a great option, considering how well-built each of those components is.
- You should be precise about the caliber of your handgun before choosing this cleaning kit. As you can see, compatibility is not the best quality of the cleaning kit. If you plan to expand your collection over time, this could be one of the many cleaning kits you need. Many customers use this cleaning kit along with other products.
The Real Avid Gun Boss Multi-Kit 9mm does not have many extra features.
If you are looking for a decent gun cleaning kit for your handgun, you cannot go wrong with the Real Avid Gun Boss Multi-Kit 9mm. This package contains the cleaning equipment and the lubricators and cleaning chemicals you need. It also provides a premium-quality gun maintenance experience without asking for too much money.
Gun Cleaning Kit FAQ
Do I need to clean my gun after every use?
Yes, experts recommend that you clean your gun after every use. This primary step can ensure the best safety and durability for your firearm. It is worth noting that you do not have to clean the gun right after you use it.
Is WD40 OK for guns?
In most cases, WD40 is an excellent method to clean your gun. However, some customers say that in cold areas, the use of WD40 will lead to the creation of gunk on the firearm. We think you might want to combine WD40 with a few other options.
Can you oven clean your gun?
There are multiple answers to this question, but here is the just. Oven-cleaning your gun is not the safest or practical option. Rather than removing all dirt from the weapon, you may end up damaging some hardware. So, it is better to stick to the recommended cleaning methods.
5 tips for cleaning a gun
One, you should get one of the best cleaning kits for your gun. Two, you should see if the cleaning equipment you have chosen will work with the caliber of your firearms. Three, you have to ensure that you stick to trusted cleaning chemicals. Four, you should always refer to the documentation from the cleaning kit manufacturer. Five, you should not hesitate to get help if you do something wrong while detailing a firearm.
Some might tell you that gun cleaning is a tough job, but you can prove them wrong by choosing one of the gun cleaning kits mentioned here.
As you have seen, most of these products come with dedicated hardware that offers the best security for your firearm. We believe that is a great place to start, and you can make all the further selections based on the specific model you own.
Be notified about new posts
Sign up with your email for our newsletter and be notified when we publish new blog posts. Don’t miss valuable advices.