You toss. You turn. You woke up your sleeping partner. Or maybe they woke you up. It’s hard to tell. You wake up in the morning feeling exhausted from a restless night’s sleep. Perhaps you even have aches and pains from your old mattress. If this sounds familiar it may be time to start thinking about investing in a new mattress. Thus the main reason why we created this best mattress review guide. 🙂
Even if you are sleeping ok on your current mattress it is a general rule of thumb that its time for a new mattress if your current one is around 7 years old and/or is showing signs of age.
Now that is time for a new mattress, you may be asking what are the best mattress available today? Which mattress will best suit you and your preferences? Every mattress is different and every person prefers a different mattress. It may feel like an impossible task to go out and research all the mattresses to find the best one. No worries, we have done a lot of the research for you and put together a comprehensive list of what we feel are the top ten memory foam and hybrid foam mattresses available online today.
There a plenty of options when it comes to purchasing a new mattress. There are many great in-store brands like Simmons, Tempur Pedic, Sealy and many more. There are also popular online choices like Eight Mattress, Loom and Leaf, and Nectar. We reviewed them all and came up with a list of mattresses that simply stand out from the pack.
How We Made Our Best Mattress Top Ten List
With the abundance of mattresses currently available online, we settled on picking out the ones that stood out from the pack based on a number of criteria. Since the perfect mattress for one person is quite often not the best mattress for someone else we had to consider a lot of different qualities while making this list. We considered the firmness/support, cost, comfort, motion transfer and more to properly evaluate the mattresses. We have made this list based on what we feel is the best online offerings currently available. We are including latex, memory foam, and latex hybrids.
Our table below provides a quick recap of our top ten list. Read on to see a review of each mattress.
#1- Eight Mattress Review
The Eight mattress memory foam mattress is an excellent low cost but if you are looking for a traditional memory foam mattress. This company has created a memory foam mattress that is comfortable, provides support and pressure relief while also not prohibiting too much movement.
It has four layers of support and even has added bonus of having an optional cover called a smart mattress pad. This cover has technology that will connect to your smartphone over wi-fi and allows you to preheat and control the temperate of your bed remotely. It is also a sleep tracker.
The Eight mattress provides a bit a bounce without too much a sinking feeling which makes it a fantastic choice for a memory foam mattress.
- The top layer is made of 2″ of responsive foam. This responsive foam is what gives this mattress its better bounce than a traditional memory foam mattress. It has a nice responsiveness and quick recovery.
- The next layer consists of another 2″ of contouring memory foam. This a denser layer that gives more support and is closer to what we think of when thinking about memeory foam mattress. It has all the benefits of traditional memory foam, providing joint support and comfort.
- The third layer is an additional 2″ of traditional foam for further support
- The last layer is a 4″ layer of base foam to make up the foundation of the mattress
All in all, there is 10″ thick mattress that has been well constructed to provide support, comfort and even weight distribution.
What we liked about this Eight Mattress
The memory foam provides nice support, relieves joint pain, and gives a more restful night sleep. There was also little motion transfer detected with this mattress. All in all it is a comfortable and well constructed mattress. A great option in memory foams.
#2 – Hyphen Mattress Review
This mattress is ideal for any person looking for a foam mattress that is medium-firm (not luxurious however not very strong), is aiming to alleviate neck and back pain, and is mindful regarding the budget. I’m personally 210lbs and 6’0. To me, this mattress has just the right amount of softness and support. If you are a lighter weight you can expect a bit more firmness and heavier more sinkage. So use that as a base to form your own opinion on how you think you would like this type of mattress.
What we like about the Hyphen Mattress
The Hyphen mattress does a terrific work balancing gentleness with support. We would suggest this mattress to any kind of couples that have various resting behaviors. The Hyphen lands sturdily between, wonderful for company or side sleepers.
Hyphen Mattress Promo Codes:
Save $50 on any Hyphen Mattress: REVIEWSTER50
#3 – Nectar Rest Mattress Review
It a close call deciding between the Loom & Leaf mattress or the Nectar Rest. This is another example of a luxury memory foam mattress that has been made of high quality and environmentally friendly materials. The Nectar Rest also has a slightly lower cost than the Leaf & Loom. This mattress is sold exclusively online, and thus can offer such a high quality mattress at a great price.
The Nectar rest is an 11″ thick mattress made of four layers of foam. This mattress, like the Leaf & Loom has a cooling medical grade gel layer to keep the mattress cool to sleep on. It has a good firmness while also retaining the support and contouring of a traditional memory foam mattress. It retains great comfort and support for all types of sleep positions. The Nectar Rest comes with a firmness rating in the range of 6-7 on a scale of 10. This gives the mattress a very comfortable firmness.
- The Foundation of this mattress is a very dense foam to create a solid base for sleeping on. Nectar has molded special channels through their base to keep it “breathable.”
- Next layer- On top of the base level is a layer of adaptive hi core memory foam. This layer has good recovery, which will support the body while still retaining some bounce.
- Third Layer- Above this a thin layer of gel memory foam. This medical grade gel will allow the bed to sleep cool and help to evenly distribute body weight and provide contouring.
- Fourth Layer- An additional layer of quilted gel memory foam is added next. This quilted layer provides loft and comfort, as well as extra breathability.
- The Cover- On the top Nectar has placed a premium cover made from long staple cotton and Tencel. This cover is naturally resistant to bedbugs, and promotes circulation of fresh air throughout the mattress. Nectar also claims to provide you a new cover anytime you need it, free of charge.
What we like about the Nectar Rest
This is a luxury level mattress at a fraction of the cost of buying one in a brick and mortar store. This mattress has captured the best of what a memory foam mattress can provide while also eliminating much of the drawbacks. The mattress has a nice firmness, while still providing some contouring and support. The company also lets you have a 365-night home trial period. Yup, use the mattress up to a full year before deciding if you want to keep it!
NECTAR Promo Codes:
Save $100 on a Nectar usage code: REVIEWSTER100
#4 – Muse Mattress Review
Muse Mattress has several comfort levels so it can be customized to fit your needs. It has the advanced cooling technology that will let you sleep comfortably tonight and wake up tomorrow while feeling good and rejuvenated. When you lie down on this mattress, you won’t feel that “sinking” sensation because this product offers a body contouring & hug feel.
Every sleeper will benefit from this mattress. This product is available in different comfort choices as it has 3 layers of premium-quality memory foams that will support your every move. This is a one-of-a-kind memory foam mattress because its cover has the Cold Wire Technology that keeps you feeling cool while sleeping. Moreover, this mattress magically distributes your weight all over the bed so you’ll feel utmost comfort through the night.
#5 – Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
Loom & Leaf takes first place for most mattress reviewers for a number of reasons. The quality of materials, the construction, and the customer service are all outstanding. It is a luxury level density memory foam mattress. The mattress measures 12 inches thick, which is a couple inches larger than a standard 10 inch mattress. Loom and Leaf constructs their mattress with four layers for great support, comfort, and durability. They use very high quality materials, excellent and thoughtful construction, and have produced an overall unparalleled model of memory foam mattress.
Loom & Leaf is the perfect choice of mattress for most people. It is a good choice for people who are looking for a mattress in either a medium or a firm comfort level. It is good for anyone looking for a memory foam mattress, who also want good cooling and more natural materials. The quality of Loom and Leaf is comparable to much more expensive brands such as Tempur-Pedic or iComfort, but comes at a much lower price point.
Loom & Leaf was started by the Saatva company. This mattress company offers online innerspring mattresses. The Loom&Leaf mattress became their luxury level online memory foam product.
What we liked best about Loom & Leaf
This mattress was great because it did not give the sinking feeling of many memory foam mattresses. The layers of foam in its construction allows the memory foam to provide plenty of support and comfort and pressure relief, but does not overly contour to one’s body. The top cooling layer also provides a much cooler sleeping surface than a traditional memory foam mattress. A couple sleeping on this mattress will also appreciate that there is little to no motion transfer. Loom & Leaf have managed to create a memeory foam mattress that has all the benefits of a traditional memory foam and have eliminated all the typical complaints at the same time.
The mattress is not shipped compressed like many other memory foam mattresses. There is no off-gassing, and very little smell. Delivery is great, since the full delivery includes mattress set-up.
Furthermore the quilted cover of this mattress is made of all natural and organic materials. They have included an additional 5/8 ” of foam under the quilted cover for additional comfort. The use of all natural materials, including using Thistle as a natural flame retardant, is an amazing bonus when considering purchasing this mattress.
The company has two mattress choice as well. The “Relaxed Firm” model offers great support while still nicely contouring to one’s body. The company says this measures a 5.5 out of scale of 10 for its firmness level. The “Firm” model is for people looking for a firmer feel. Rating about an 8 out of 10 for firmness. 10 being a very uncomfortable and very firm surface. The
“Firm” model is also recommended for some couples who may want to consider weight distribution.
Lets start from the bottom up.
- The Bottom Layaer is 5.5″ of support base. This a strong layer of dense memory foam made as the foundation to support the following few additional comfort layers.
- The next layer consists of 2″ of transitional foam. This layer serves to transition between the foundation layer and the next more supportive layer.
- The third layer on this mattress is 2.5 ” of visco-elastic memory foam. This layer offers comfort, support and body contouring.
- The second layer is a thinner 2″ of gel foam. This cooling layer keeps the mattress from sleeping hot. The medical grade gel is evenly dispersed throughout this layer. On top of this is a cooling spinal panel that is laminated onto the foam.
- The cover of this mattress is made from organic top and quilted to provided even more support. It has been designed to be tighter and more dense across the target torso area and looser near the head and feet. This provides additional support for the midsection while also keeping the spine aligned. The cover soft, comfortable and has nice feel.
#6- Leesa Mattress Review
Leesa Mattress has been quickly making its name well known as a leading online high quality foam mattress. It is a hybrid mattress that is made of latex and memory foams. Leesa mattresses use Aveena latex foam as well as memory foam to give all the benefits of both types of foams while eliminating the drawbacks of both.
This is a great mattress for people who are looking for a hybrid mattress in a medium firmness. The mattress is made of good quality materials and is very reasonably priced.
Hybrid mattresses are able to do this by adding the different layers together to produce the best results. Latex foam provides airflow, cooling and comfort, while memory foam give the mattress a lot of support and contouring. Mixing the two together eliminates the problem of sleeping hot from memory foams and gives the mattress more bounce. It adds to a latex foam by providing much needed support.
The Leesa mattress has a firmness of 6 out of 10. It has been designed to have a pleasant feel and comfort level that will be suitable for most people. The ten inch thick mattress is comfortable to sleep and does a nice job contouring and providing support all over.
The hybrid of foams does an excellent job of minimizing motion transfer, so it is a great choice for a couple.
See our full review of the Leesa Mattress
What we like about Leesa Mattress
The combination of materials provides a great sleeping surface. The bed does not sleep hot, retains a nice bounce while also contouring and providing excellent support. Body weight is evenly distributed and there was not much in the way of sinkage. Overall Leesa has made a very comfortable and desirable sleeping surface that is deserving of the outstanding and positive reviews it has been receiving.
An additional thing that impressed me about Leesa was the company’s generous commitment to giving back to the community. For every ten mattresses purchased from Leesa, the company donates one mattress to a homeless shelter. Outstanding!
- The foundation layer is made of 6″ of high density and breathable foam.
- The middle layer is 2″ of memory foam. This layer offers support, and pressure relief.is made of 2″ latex foam to give cooling and comfort. Aveena foam has been designed to provide great bounce, cooling and comfort.
- The top layer is made of 2″ latex foam to give cooling and comfort. Aveena foam has been designed to provide great bounce, cooling and comfort.
- The cover is high quality material that has made from a single cut. The material is thick and has a nice feel. The company has gone the extra mile and made a pleasing 4 bar design. It is both durable and comfortable.
#7- Zenhaven Mattress Review
Looking for an all natural, luxury quality, pure latex foam mattress? That is exactly what you get with a ZenHaven mattress. It is a comfortable, responsive, high quality mattress with superior construction.
Latex mattresses are a great choice for people who want natural foam mattresses without the contouring of memory foam. Generally latex mattresses have more of a bounce to them, or in other words, are more responsive. Latex provides some pressure relief but does not have the typical “hug” of memory foam.
Another unique feature of latex mattress is that will sleep cool compared to a traditional memory foam mattress. Latex mattress naturally do not retain heat. The ZenHaven is able to provide great cooling because of this.
Zenhaven is unique because it offers two firmness levels in one mattress. It is constructed in a way that it can be flipped over to provide an option of a softer firmness on one side and a more firm sleeping surface on the other. The softer side has a rating of about 4.5 out of s a scale of 10 and the firmer side of the mattress sleeps at about a 6.5 firmness out of 10.
Because this mattress can be flipped to provide two firmness levels it is constructed in sandwich form. It measures 10 inches in thickness.
- The cover- It is made from organic cotton with a layer of organic wool quilted in. This Joma wool helps to keep things cool and comfortable. Because this mattress is flip-able, this Joma wool has been quilted into both sides, giving both sides the same comfort and cooling.
- The First Layer- The top layer of this mattress is designed to give lots of comfort. It is made of 1.5″ of Talalay Latex. It is very responsive.
- The Second Layer– Three inches of thick and dense Talalay natural latex provide support and pressure relief.
- The Third Layer– Another three inches of Talalay natural latex. This layer is more firm than the previous layer. When the mattress is flipped with this side up the sleeping surface is more responsive and more supportive.
- The Fourth Layer– Here we have a repeat of the first layer. 1.5″ of Talalay Latex foam for a responsive, support, and comfortable night’s sleep.
- The cover- It is important to note that there is another cover layer on the bottom of the mattress. Again it has been quilted with the Joma wool to provide cooling and wick moisture away. Joma wool is also a natural flame-retardant.
What we liked about ZenHaven Mattress
There is a lot to like about this one. Having the choice of sleeping surfaces is unique to ZenHaven, and it great to have the options. Zenhaven is made of all natural and organic materials, which is very appealing. It sleeps very cool and with its comfort layer, it makes for a great night’s sleep.
As a natural latex foam, this mattress has a very responsive feel. There is a lot of bounce to it. This can be a great choice for many people.
However, if you are looking for a more body-hugging and joint supportive mattress you may want to consider memory foam or a hybrid.
Purchase Zenhaven – Lowest Rate Online
#8- GhostBed Mattress Review
The Ghost Bed is a hybrid mattress made of latex and memory foam. It creates a nice balance of both responsiveness and contouring. This is an important feature since many foam mattresses will wither be too responsive (think too much bounce) or be over contouring (think overly hugging, movements limited). The hybrid mattress provides both responsiveness and support and gives a very comfortable and desirable sleeping surface for most people.
The Ghost Bed has a firmness level of 6.5 to 7 out ten which makes it a great choice for anyone looking for a medium to medium-firm support. It provides a bit more support than other foam mattresses. This mattress is also a good choice for people looking for a hybrid foam mattress. It has the best of both worlds! It is a great mattress that will provide contouring and well as comfort and sleeps cool.
Ghost bed is made of three layers plus a cover. It measures 11″ thick.
- The Foundation- This bottom layer is made of 7.5″ of high-density support foam. It is designed to be a strong base.
- The Support layer – The middle layer consists of 2″ of gel memory foam. Gel memory foam is a layer of foam that has been mixed with cooling gel which prevents the mattress from sleeping hot. The memory foam will give support, and pressure relief for sleepers.
- The Top layer –This first layer is placed strategically to give cooling and comfort and responsiveness. This layer measures 1.5″ and is made from aerated latex foam. This layer provides great airflow.
- The Cover- made from 100% polyester. The cover fits well over the mattress and provides a thick, soft mattress surface. The cover is notably stretchy which allows for a snug fit.
What we liked about GhostBed
GhostBed is fantastic value for a hybrid foam mattress. It is a very supportive mattress that seems to hold up over time. It is a comfortable sleeping surface that provides all the benefits of both latex and memory foams. It is good for all sleeping types.
The company also offers a matching foundation and even pillows.
#9- Nest Bed- Alexander Signature Series Review
This another great option when looking for a memory foam mattress. This a high-quality 13-inch thick mattress made of layers of memory foam. This mattress is able to be ordered in three different firmness levels depending on your preference: Soft, Medium or Luxury Firm. This mattress is well balanced in terms of comfort, support, and responsiveness. It provides all three of these things fairly equally.
Nest Bedding as a company places a priority on creating mattresses that are made with natural and organic materials. They emphasize sleeping on healthy, non-toxic materials.
The mattress measures 13″ in thickness.
- The Foundation- The bottom layer of this Nest Bed consists of a base layer of foam. It provides plenty of support.
- The Transitional Layer- On top of the foundation layer is a layer of transitional foam. Layered between the supportive base and a more comfortable layer above it, it provides support and comfort.
- The Comfort Layer- The next layer coming up is foam designed to provide some bounce, comfort, and good airflow.
- The Gel Layer- This thick layer of gel memory foam provides great support and pressure relief as well as giving good dispersion of body weight. The gel helps the mattress to sleep cool and prevent heat retention.
- The Cover- The cover is a quilted fabric that contains more foam. It is very soft and breathable.
This mattress is available in Soft, Medium or Luxury Firm.
- The Soft mattress option is constructed of 4″ of foundation, 3″ of Transitional foam, 2″ of comfort level foam, 2″ of gel memory foam, 1.5 ” of the quilted cover
- The Medium mattress options are constructed of 4″ of foundation, 2″ of transitional foam, 1″ of Visco foam, 4″ of gel memory foam and 2″ of quilted cover.
- The Luxury Firm mattress option is constructed of 6″ of foundation, 3″ of transition, 2″ of gel memory foam, and 1.5 ” of quilted cover.
What we liked about the Nest Bed’s Alexander Signature Series
At thirteen inches this mattress comes in thicker than the average foam mattress. The materials and construction are of superior quality and it also has many options to choose from in terms of firmness level. It provides great pressure relief and plenty of comfort.
The foam of this mattress has almost no off-gassing or offensive smell. That is not too common among shipped memory foam mattresses.
Save $100 with Code: MFT100
#10- Lull Mattress Review
Another exciting choice in memory foam mattresses is the Lull mattress. This is a 10″ all foam mattress with great support and pressure relief. This mattress is trying to appeal to most sleepers by giving the comfort, support, responsiveness and cooling level that are most popular.
This mattress has a medium firmness. It comes in at 6.5 out of 10 on a firmness scale.
- The Cover-The cover is soft, thin and very elastic for a snug feel. While the cover is on the thin side it does appear to be durable and hold up well.
- The Top Layer– The first layer of the mattress is constructed of 1.5″ of gel memory foam. The beaded gel is infused throughout this layer of memory foam to prevent the mattress from sleeping hot. The memory foam provides pressure relief and comfort.
- The Second layer– The second layer is an additional 1.5 ” of memory foam that has a lot of similarities to the responsiveness of Latex foam. This foam layer was created for even more support.
- The Third Layer– The foundation of this mattress is 7″ of supportive memory foam. It is a strong and stable base to the mattress.
What we liked about Lull
Well, the name alone kinda makes me feel sleepy and ready for a nap. 🙂 The Lull mattress has nice responsiveness that sometimes can missing from other memory foam mattresses. The layers on this mattress provide some relief from some of the complaints of a pure memory foam mattress. The gel infused top layer allows some cooling to the mattress, while the second layer of foam creates a nice bounce. Overall this is a quite pleasant mattress.
Visit this site to Save $50 on a Lull
Check Out All Lull Mattresses
#11-Luxi Mattress Review
Bringing in #9 on our top ten list is another hybrid foam mattress. With the abundance of foam mattresses available online today, Luxi was able to make itself stand out among the pack with some unique and desirable features. Most notably Luxi mattresses provide the option of manually changing the foam layers to provide different firmness levels. Yup, that’s right, you buy one mattress and can manually decide which firmness level you want to construct.
It comes in standard 10-inch thickness and is made of latex, memory and polyurethane foams. The firmness of this mattress will vary depending on how you choose to set it up. The range will be anywhere from a 3.5 all the way up to 8 out of ten.
Here are the layers of the Luxi Mattress. (For convenience I have listed the layers as they would be constructed for soft firmness level.)
- Memory foam Heads- Support Layer – This is 3.5″ of memory foam heads. This is designed for low weight levels of pressure relief and body contouring.
- Memory foam-A Pressure Relief Layer– This is 1″ of pure memory foam. It provides pressure relief and support. This layer is always second from the top in all three mattress setups.
- Dunlap Latex- Cooling and Comfort Layer – 1.5″ of Latex that has been aerated to make the mattress breathable and create great airflow.
- Polyurethane Foam-The Foundation Layer– In all three mattress configurations the foundation consists of 3.5″ of polyurethane foam. This gives the mattress base support and shape.
- The Cover– The cover is made by quilting the fabric with an additional .5″ of foam. It creates a soft and cool sleeping surface with a snug fit.
What we liked about Luxi
Having the options to change your firmness level could be convenient if you’re not really sure about which firmness level you would prefer. It has all the benefits as other hybrid foam mattresses. It combines the responsiveness of latex with the support and pressure relief associated with memory foams.
This is definitely one of the more intriguing mattresses that we have reviewed.
Save $125 on Luxi – code: REVIEWSTER
#12- Helix Mattress Review
I couldn’t complete this top ten list without mentioning one of the more innovative in construction mattresses that I have seen. Helix is known for providing a mattress that is personalized and unique. Their easy to use website will walk you through the entire mattress buying experience. A quick and short questionnaire which asks basic questions about age, weight, and preferences will provide the suggestions for the perfect mattress construction. You can even choose to have a mattress for two be “blended” or “split” construction. Split construction is great for two people who share a mattress but have very different sleeping preferences. This is definitely a new experience for mattress buyers!
Helix is a 10″ thick foam mattress. It is made of poly foams and micro coils. Because each mattress has personalized the layers of the mattress will vary. I have listed some of the properties of the mattress so you can get an idea of its construction.
- Poly-foam- Their foam is known as Helix Dynamic foam. In a lot of ways, it is similar to Latex Foam. The bounce and responsiveness are comparable to latex. The firmness of this foam will vary depending on what is chosen.
- Microcoils– Microcoils are essentially small coils. Similar in feel to an innerspring mattress the micro coil provide a nice bounce and airflow.
- Poly-foam– The mattress also comes with an additional layer of poly-foam for a transitional layer
- Base foam– The foundation has a dense foam to make a strong and stable foundation.
- The Cover- The strong cover does not have any additional thickness or padding but provides a nice comfortable layer.
What we liked about Helix
Personalization! There is no “one size fits all” logo for this company. You choose your firmness level, and your mattress feels. The online website helps you choose the right mattress for you by reviewing pertinent information such as sleeping position, age, height, weight, medical issues, and many other things. It truly feels that you are designing a mattress that is being made exclusively for you. This is one of the better mattresses under $500 as seen on this website.
Save $50 on Helix – code: MFT50
Online Mattress Buyer’s Guide
When it comes to purchasing a new mattress it is choices, choices, choices. Should you be shopping in the big box stores with pushy salesmen, or should you look at all the options with internet mattress companies that deliver straight to your home? What kind of mattress is best for you? Should you get a memory foam, latex, or hybrid? How much should you be spending? What functions of the mattress should you be considering before you make your purchase?
We have all the details and information you need in this mattress buyer’s guide.
Bed Mattress Covers
When considering mattress options it is important to discuss the mattress cover. Manufacturers will use many different materials when it comes to mattress construction. Anything from natural fibers, bamboo, wool to layers of cooling gel may be used to offer additional comfort or distribute heat.
Important Considerations for Buying a Mattress
Probably the most important consideration in determining what mattress to purchase its construction. Mattresses today are made in many different options. From inner-spring coils to memory foam to latex to the hybrids, it is imperative to know the difference and determine which type of mattress is best for you.
Frequently the different types of materials are blended together in layers which gives a variety of options when it comes to firmness, comfort, and even depth. The quality of the material goes a long way in determining the value of the mattress.
Memory Foam is well known for its ability to support and relieve pressure on the body because of its superior ability to mold to one’s body in response to heat and pressure while also evenly distributing body weight. The foam will return to its original shape after leaving the bed.
This type of material can be great for individuals who are looking for a mattress that will relieve pressure points while sleeping. Sufferers of back pain and other joints aches often have glowing reports after sleeping on a memory foam mattress. Another feature of this type of mattress is that it minimizes feeling the motions from a bed partner while sleeping, leading to better and more restful night’s sleep.
One feature of memory foam that often becomes a complaint is its ability to hold onto body heat, which may become uncomfortable in warmer weather. However, memory foam manufacturers have been working on correcting this problem by designing more cooler memory foams mattresses than were previously available. Also in today’s modern world, people who still prefer memory foam mattresses are able to fix this problem by adjusting air conditioners or blankets.
Memory foam mattresses are recommended for people who prefer the body contouring, overall support, and pressure alleviation that a memory foam mattress can provide. When looking for this type of mattress it is important to compare brands and quality, because not all foams are created equal.
A mattress made entirely from latex materials is known for its cooling ability, bounce, and comfort. While a memory foam mattress tends to conform or hug the body, a latex mattress still has the feeling of foam without the hug. Latex retains a more responsive bounce rather than a mold to pressure. It also keeps cooler than traditional memory foams. Latex mattresses offer a similar comfort level as an innerspring coil mattress.
Latex can be natural, synthetic, a blend of the two, or even a hybrid with coils. 100% natural latex mattresses are the most eco-friendly option when comes to picking out a mattress. Natural latex is processed from the rubber tree sap. It is also extremely durable and can last longer than 15 years. However, this durable and natural material is also quite expensive and its much more common to find mattresses with only a small layer of natural foam. The rest of the mattress is usually made of other synthetic materials. A 100% natural latex mattress will be quite costly.
Latex mattresses manufacturers often tend to focus on using more environmentally friendly material. Organic and natural materials being used more commonly than in other types of mattresses. Latex is recommended for people who are looking for the feel of a foam mattress without the feeling of being molded or hugged by it.
Hybrid mattresses are made from a mix of all the different types of mattress materials. They will have different percentages of latex, memory foam, coils or synthetic foams. By blending the different materials, hybrids can take the best qualities of each material while minimizing the less desirable qualities.
Memory foam and latex hybrid mattress will be able to keep cool, respond to the body, retain a great bounce but also provide pressure relief and evenly distribute body weight. Other mattresses will create a hybrid of coils, which provides good cooling ability with the comforts of either latex or memory foams.
These hybrid mattresses offer the best of all worlds. Many people find these mattresses to be the best choice.
How To Choose A Mattress Based on Your Budget:
Cost does not always equal quality when you also consider purchasing the mattress online vs. in-store. Since online can reduce the cost of the mattress significantly, it may be a huge consideration when looking at a budget for a new mattress.
However, purchasing too cheap of a mattress can have its drawbacks as well. Cheap construction and cheap materials will not be long-lasting and will reduce your ability to sleep well at night. Spending about $1000- $1500 for a new mattress is a reasonable price range. The cost can also correlate for the size of the bed. Obviously, a king size mattress will cost well over the price for a twin.
Suppleness & Support
Two very important factors to consider when choosing a new mattress are its support and firmness. These two qualities are often cited by buyers as the number one factor when picking out their preferred mattress.
Looking at the softness or firmness of mattress should always be looked at since each mattress will have different levels of support depending on the material it is made from.
As we know, memory foam will hug the body and when it is mixed with different degree of latex it will produce different levels of firmness and support. However, latex mattress tends to be more firm than memory foam. Latex also has great support and responsiveness.
Reviewing each mattress for its level of support and suppleness is essential when choosing the perfect mattress.
Considering we spend so much of lives in bed, picking out the perfect comfort level of our mattresses is extremely important. We all want our mattress to be comfortable, inviting, soft and also supportive. Most importantly we want to be able to enjoy our sleep and have a restful night!
Nobody enjoys sinking into their bed or thrashing around all night. Always consider the comfort a mattress is able to provide.
Some mattresses are able to provide a cooler surface to rest on than others. As this comes down to another sleeping preference, the level of coolness is another factor to consider when reviewing mattresses.
The first memory foam mattresses became known for retaining body heat and becoming hot, sticky and uncomfortable in the summer months. Mattress companies began to understand this problem and found ways to compensate for heat retention. Currently, memory foam and latex hybrids have developed new ways to combat this problem. Often they will include foam layers or use the cooling gel in the mattress construction to keep things cool at night.
Innerspring coils are also known for keeping cooler at night. Many of the hybrid mattresses have been designed in order to keep the bed from getting to warm while sleeping.
Latex mattresses stay cool naturally, and mattresses that have incorporated latex in their construction also stay cool naturally. When looking at mattresses and heat retention, there is a direct correlation to the ability of the mattress to “breathe.” In other words, air needs to be able to circulate well through the material to keep things cool.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Couples who share a bed often complain about feeling their partners movements during the night and sinking into one another. The specifically becomes a problem as the mattress ages.
Sinkage can be a problem for both individuals and couples. Sinkage simply refers to how much the mattress will compress when weight is placed on it. Whether around the edges or in combination with the middle of the mattress.
A well-constructed mattress will be able to prevent these problems from occurring. Look also for long-lasting mattresses to prevent this from happening with age. A mattress with good edge support will help provide an even sleeping surface.
Motion transfer, simply put, is just the ability to feel movement in the bed when the bed partner is moving. A poorly made mattress may keep you up or provide you with a restless night’s sleep because you are woken by every move your partner makes. On the other hand, a well-crafted mattress will protect you from ever feeling the motion transfer from your sleeping companion.
Smell & Off-gassing
When it comes to purchasing a new memory foam mattresses, the most common complaint is a bad smell upon opening the new mattress. This is referred to as off-gassing. Memory foam mattress produces a chemical odor that has been compressed and shipped.
Typically this odor will go away in a short amount of time, but occasionally a mattress will retain some semblance of this odor and in some cases, the smell never entirely disappears.
This another important thing to consider when purchasing a memory foam mattress.
With the increasing ability to make mattress purchases over the internet, finding a company that provides excellent customer service is essential. The internet site should make it easy to order their products, and readily provide delivery and order information. Making an online purchase of a $1000 or possibly, even more, should require excellent customer care.
It is preferable to be able to contact a representative if needed when making these large-ticket purchases. Shipping methods and customer service can often be a big factor when picking a company to purchase your mattress from
Whereas some companies may choose to hand deliver your new mattress and even provide old mattress removal services, other newer companies will only deliver your bed in a shipping box. you are left with dealing with putting your new mattress in place as well as old mattress disposal.
When deciding to purchase your new mattress online, it is also important to see what sort of return policies they have in place. Or if they have time here you are allowed to test out the new mattress. Times can vary anywhere from 75-200 days. If you are purchasing the bed online, this an extremely important feature.
Of course, the cost of a new mattress is another important thing to consider in purchasing a new mattress. When purchasing a mattress in-store, quite often the cost can be higher than purchasing online. The cost difference can be associated with factors such as payments to salesmen, shipping costs of inventories, and other factors.
Online retailers don’t have to worry about middlemen and sell directly to the consumers. This can significantly reduce the cost of a mattress.
It may be difficult to decide on the perfect mattress. There is an abundance of options to choose from, both in-store and online. Becoming an informed and wise buyer is essential in today’s marketplace.
Personal preference is going to always be the top priority when choosing the right mattress. Whether you like to purchase from traditional places such as big–box stores or would rather the home delivery from purchasing from an online store, it is always important to research and be knowledgeable about all your options.
The reviews in this summary were made in order to help you along your new mattress purchase journey!