When looking for the right dashcam for your vehicle, you may want to consider quality, affordability, and effectiveness when driving. Today we are reviewing the NextBase 522GW Dash Cam, which offers exclusive and unique features that other dash cams today can’t adopt. We are going to determine if this is the best dashcam for vehicles in the USA.
What Are The Best Features Of The 522GW?
Some of the features that are included with the NextBase 522GW are genuinely remarkable. One of the main features is the innovative SOS response, labeled as the ‘Emergency Response’ mode, it sends a notification to the emergency services to where your vehicle is located in a severe collision is detected, and the driver is not responding. Once identified, the NextBase 522GW will call the owner’s phone, and if rejected or non-responsive, the emergency services will be called and notified the car’s position.
See Also: Best ELD Devices Reviews &
The NextBase 522GW also comes by default with another feature called Intelligent Parking mode. This is an option that can be selected in the dashcam’s menu. Once enabled, and once the engine is turned off, the dashcam will pick up on this and turn everything off, except the G-Force sensor, which will have increased sensitivity. While active, if the G-Force sensor picks up on any bumps or knocks that your vehicle might receive, it will automatically turn itself on a record for 3 minutes and save the footage. This is repeatable in one sitting, meaning if you are unlucky and get bumped twice, it will record both of these events.
Another unique feature that the NextBase 522GW has is the Alexa application built-in. With this, it allows you to place calls, listen to your favorite tunes as well as doing the standard weather checks, traffic checks, and directions, all while you keep focused on the road and driving. Although still in an unreleased state, NextBase are also working on an Alexa skill (Alexa third-party apps) that will allow you to record, save and delete footage from the camera all while keeping your hands on the steering wheel – which will not only make the road a safer place but will keep your attention on the road at all times.
Chris Duke has a good overview video here:
Technical Specifications of the 522GW
Some of the technicalities of the NextBase 522GW are as follows;
- 3” HD IPS Touch Screen
- Super-Wide 140° viewing angle.
- 1440 @ 30fps (or 1080p @ 60fps)
- 6-Layer F1.3 Lens with Built-in Polarising Filter
- 10Hz GPS
- Built-in QuickLink Wi-Fi
- Built-in Bluetooth 4.2
- Built-in Alexa
- Emergency Response Mode enabled.
- Intelligent Parking Mode enabled.
- Supports MicroSD Cards
How To Use The NextBase 522GW
When first using the 522GW, you are met with simple to use technology, which has a 50-page user manual that will help you navigate and utilize the device should you ever need to refer to it.
Installing the dashcam is also very simple, as it comes with a range of mounting options such as the magnetic mounting option and suction cup mounting system. Both are super easy to install and clip onto the dashcam, just like an ordinary camera, GPS, or phone holder.
When using the dashcam, as long as it’s plugged in, it will always turn itself on when you start the vehicle and start recording, meaning your journey will always be recorded no matter where you start or how you start it. Don’t get this mixed up with an ELD device that is mainly used in the trucking industry. Using both a dashcam and an ELD device while on the road for truckers is probably the safest thing you can do to cover yourself in case of an accident.
You may be faced with a firmware upgrade that the camera often asks for, and this can be quite difficult to understand if you’ve not done it before. Rest assured, NextBase has also covered this and has made it very simple to do. The user manual refers to this; however, all you need to do is download the update file, bring the dashcam to the PC and connect them up and install the firmware upgrade by dragging the configuration file into the storage device listed as the ‘NextBase’ device. A full firmware upgrade manual can be found here on the NextBase website.
Comparison (522GW vs. 422GW)
The NextBase 522GW was not the first of its kind and had a previous version, the 422GW. Retailing at a very similar price, the NextBase 422GW has many of the same features as the 522GW but does have some significant changes to the design. The 422GW is a lot more chunky and is a little less sleek. The 522GW has had a complete revamp and has a more stylish and noticeable design.
Other than that, the 422GW has the same resolution aspects, a slightly smaller screen at just 2.5” compared to the 3” screen on the 522GW, and doesn’t come with a polarizing filter by default. Software-wise, the 422GW remains updated; however, it does have a slightly dated feeling to it, which the 522GW does gain points on.
Overall, the devices are very similar with a similar price tag, but the newer 522GW does come with several upgrades that are just worth the small difference.
Rideshare Professor does a good comparison between all of the NextBase models here:
What’s included in the NextBase 522GB Box?
Check out this unboxing video from Jim O’Brien.
In the box, you don’t only get the camera, but several other products that you will need to run and use the camera efficiently. The 522GW does not come with an SD card that the camera will need to store data on, so make sure to pick one of these up at the same time!
Other than that, you will get everything you need including;
- NextBase 522GW (Latest Version)
- NextBase Car Power Cable (4m Long for 12-24V ports).
- NextBase USB Cable to allow for a connection to your PC.
- Click&Go PRO GPS Mount, a magnetic dash cam car mount.
- NextBase Suction Mount (as an alternative to the magnetic mount)
- Power Cable Fitting Tool to route the cable around your windscreen.
- A spare 3M Adhesive Pad should you wish to move the dashcam.
All the above (and an SD card) will provide you with everything you need to get started with your dashcam, from installing and setting up to taking footage all in one package.
When all things are considered about the NextBase 522GW, this is a possibly life-saving device that allows you to record the best quality video, along with its connectivity with features such as Alexa and, of course, emergency response signals. Overall, the device should undoubtedly be a top consideration for you and your vehicle.
Nextbase 422GW Dash Cam 2.5" HD 1440p Touch Screen Car Dashboard Camera, Amazon Alexa, WiFi, GPS, Emergency SOS, Wireless, Black
1 used from $144.87
- AMAZON ALEXA BUILT-IN: Use Alexa to play music, place calls, or get directions without removing your hands from the wheel or your eyes from the road.
- THE ULTIMATE IN CAR SAFETY: Record your journey on the road with a 1440p/30fps HD dash cam with the highest quality images of everything that happens to you on the road. View and share footage using the free MyNextbase cloud storage. All Nextbase cameras are equipped with night vision to record the road at anytime of day.
- THE WORLD'S FIRST DASH CAM WITH EMERGENCY SOS RESPONSE, BLUETOOTH 4.2, AND WiFi: In the event of an accident the dash cam will alert the emergency services to your location thanks to its high accuracy GPS. The alert instantly sends your personal medical data such as blood type and medical history to paramedics to aid in rescue.
- TOUCH SCREEN INTERFACE: 2.5" IPS HD touch screen for enhanced ease of use while on the road.
- MODULAR CAPABILITIES: Easily add on additional camera modules to your Nextbase 322GW to expand viewing area's including rear view, rear window, and cabin view. Great for keeping an eye on kids or Uber and Lyft passengers.
Nextbase Car Power Cable, for Nextbase 122, 222, 322GW, 422GW, and 522GW Car Dash Cams
- POWER YOUR DASH CAM: The Nextbase Car Power Cable powers your Dash Cam in the car via the 12/24V socket.
- GO WIRELESS: The Power Cable connects to the Click&Go PRO Powered Mount making your Dash Cam completely free from wires.
- USE WITH ALL NEXTBASE MODELS: Compatible with all Nextbase Dash Cam Models - 122, 222, 322GW, 422GW, 522GW.
- BATTERY PROTECTION: Battery protection system turns off the Dash Cam in low voltage situations.
- AWARD WINNING PERFORMANCE: Nextbase is the most awarded Dash Cam company in the market.
The video quality is top notch and it has a wide viewing angle. Saving clips is as simple as touching a button.
Be notified about new posts
Sign up with your email for our newsletter and be notified when we publish new blog posts. Don’t miss valuable advices.