Global warming is on the rise, which means an increase in temperature overall. But the opposite effect comes to play during the wintertime which leads to harsher and longer cold spells in specific areas. So, what is the safest way of keeping your house warm enough during cold days? Sometimes, turning up your main thermostat might not be the smartest idea, and it is sometimes not even necessary. With some smaller, electric heating devices, you can heat up the room you are in, or where you spend most of your time more easily. It could turn out to be much more efficient, and you will save money on your heating bills. Continue on to our best space heater reviews of 2020 below.
What Are the Advantages of Using a Small Heater?
Even though small room heaters, also known as space heaters cannot be used as an HVAC system, you can benefit by using them as an additional heat source. Small heaters can run at the same temperature as an HVAC system and still save money and power. You can expect to benefit in many ways when purchasing a small heater:
- While using a small heater, you can save energy by turning down the HVAC thermostat
- Power does not get lost in heating rooms which are empty
- Small heaters can be unplugged when not in use, saving more energy
- Most space heaters are simple to use and elegantly designed
- Smaller heaters tend to be relatively cheap
- They only use electricity when plugged in, and you can control the temperature manually or make use of automatic functions if they have
Despite the luxury of space heaters, they can become a fire hazard if misused. Paying attention to how, when and where you use them is essential for efficiency as well.
Safest Space Heaters
1. Dyson AM05
2. UFO Electric Mid-Wave Infrared Heater
3. Stiebel Eltron CNS100E-2
4. Dimplex PC6025W31
5. Dimplex Cadiz Eco
Which Space Heater to Choose for Your Home?
Choosing the right type of heater will depend on the home’s heating priorities, space, budget, and style. Are you looking for a heater that will heat up a room slowly and evenly or are you just looking for a quick heat source for when you get dressed in the morning? Here are some examples of excellent small heaters that can help you make the right choice.
Best for a Tiny Room
Due to their small, practical design and the amount of heat emission, ceramic space heaters are the perfect choice for a small room. The ceramic shell that surrounds the heating sources allows them to maintain a steady, even and continuous flow of warm air while preventing the surface from getting too hot.
With this kind of heater, the heating elements are not exposed which increases its safety. If anything malfunctions or wiring fails and starts throwing sparks, everything is contained within the ceramic shell. This prevents possible fires and increases the heater’s lifetime.
The way it works is very efficient. It converts the majority of received electricity into heat, which means that it wastes very little energy. The heating elements also don’t have to run constantly for the heat to be emitted, because the ceramic shell stores heat and eject it when they’re off.
Besides adding some trendiness to the interior of your home, modern high-tech heaters provide more than just a look. Most high-tech heaters are made with energy efficiency in mind, therefore finding an energy-star heater in the high-tech aisle shouldn’t be a problem. By choosing a high-tech heater, you will have many heating options with automation functions.
A great example is the Dyson AM05 Hot + Cold. This small heater comes with a three-year limited warranty. Its power cord might be on the short side, but it can help you save up to 35% on your energy bills. The Dyson AM05 is a programmable thermostat, so you can see how much energy is being used on its display screen. It is compact and so quiet that you will not even know it’s there.
Some fantastic high-tech heaters are also available on the market like the Dyson AM05 bladeless heater. The slim profile construction and modern design will look great in any home. It uses a high speed, oscillating motor to disperse warm air towards the needed area. Besides a variety of heating options, this device can be used all year round as it has a cooling fan that is efficient for those warmer days.
A great example is the Dyson AM05 Hot + Cool Fan Heater. This heater can heat or cool any room rapidly in silence. The intelligent functions will monitor the room temperature to ensure the selected room temperature stays the same. It will shut off automatically when it gets tipped over or according to your settings.
See Also: Hit The Dot App Review
Infrared space heaters heat up the room in the way that they transfer the heat onto the cool objects and surfaces. As those surfaces warm-up, the temperature of the room starts rising, making it nice and comfortable. They are quiet and provide a steady flow of heat.
When it comes to safety, the heating elements and the surface of an infrared heater are adequately protected with a metal sheath so that no one can get burned. Another one of its excellent characteristics is quick to heat recovery. This means that you don’t have to wait long to turn it back on after turning it off. It cools down more quickly than some other heaters.
The high energy efficiency of these heaters lies in the fact that they heat objects and not air. Heating air wastes energy and heating objects raise the temperature of the room more quickly, providing instant warmth. Infra-reds are also environmentally friendly because they do not produce any toxins, by-products, and there is no carbon combustion.
A great example is the UFO Electric Mid-Wave Infrared Heater. If you are looking to heat a specific area directly and not the surrounding space, then you can opt for a Halogen heater that operates by radiating infrared light. The UFO Electric Mid-Wave Infrared Heater is lightweight and has adjustable thermostat levels. It can heat the desired area in minutes and is weatherproof making it both useful for indoors or outdoors.
- Save Some Space
Wall-mounted convection heaters are an excellent solution for those who don’t have enough floor space or just don’t want the heater to take up space. These are great for bedrooms, bathrooms, and even garages since they can also heat up slightly bigger areas. They are easily installed and moved around due to their small size and weight.
These heaters are stable and quiet, and they function by air circulation. They take the cool air from the room and heat it. There is no combustion in their production of heat, which makes them environmentally friendly and safe for your house.
For a modern convection heater, you can choose the Stiebel Eltron CNS100E-2. Besides from the fact that this heater is safe and efficient, it can mount on the wall to save some space. Because it does not take up the floor area, it is a good choice for crowded rooms or even bathrooms.
- Baseboard Electric Heaters
Baseboard electric heaters are designed to occupy minimal space in a room. They are either directly on the floor along the baseboard, or a few inches above it. Baseboard electric heaters can fit into any room and are so discreet that you will not stumble upon them or even notice them sometimes.
They may be small but are strong and energy-efficient. Also, those heaters produce a significant and sufficient amount of heat and come with a built-in thermostat. They are portable, practical and can be set up anywhere.
A great example is Dimplex PC6025W31. It is a compact baseboard heater with high wattage and innovative vent design which is compatible with multiple wiring voltages. Use it in a single room, or sync with other heaters because it enables temperature control through the entire house. The Dimplex PC6025W31 is very powerful, so it is best used in larger rooms.
- Panel heaters
Panel heaters are the perfect solution for those who don’t have much space in their house or rooms. They are small and convenient, and can even be mounted on a wall, which saves up more space. The important thing is that their size doesn’t affect their ability to produce enough heat.
Panel heaters don’t have fans, which means that they operate very silently. They have an adjustable thermostat, and due to many smart tech developments, some are even equipped with smart features, such as setting up a heating schedule on an hourly, daily, or weekly basis.
Safety should always come first, and it certainly does with panel heaters. They have a thermal cut-off measure that prevents overheating, and tip-over protection, a switch that automatically shuts the heater off if it is tipped for any reason.
A great example is the slimline electric radiator from Futura Direct. This heater is splash-proof, and wall-mounted design which makes it perfectly safe for damp and wet areas like the bathroom. It can quickly heat up a room of 17 square meters, and the temperature settings range from 5°C to 50°C. The programmable functions will allow you to set the daily heating schedule for the entire week, which will then run automatically once set.
- No Oil, no Problem
Most radiators run on oil, but a more efficient choice is oil-free radiators. Oil-free radiators tend to be 10 percent more efficient compared to oil-filled heaters of the same size.
Oil-free radiators or dry thermal electric radiators can heat up rooms very fast in an economical manner by using dry thermal heating elements such as aluminum or ceramic stone. The great thing about these heaters’ quick heating cooling capabilities is that you have more control over the temperature in the room which makes them a good choice for high ceiling areas. Most of these radiators are lightweight and slimline, making them easy to move around from room to room.
A great example is the Dimplex Cadiz Eco 2kW. The Dimplex Cadiz Eco has energy-efficient heat conversion properties and superfast warming uptime. Despite its size, moving this heater around is easy as it is light and runs on wheels. Another great thing about the Dimplex Cadiz Eco is that it has a 24-hour timer that can be set each day to turn on and off automatically.
The Choice Is Yours
If you are searching for the perfect way of heating your house or a room, or for an additional source of heating, then look no further. The above-described heating devices are some of the best, and will surely meet all of your needs.
These listed heaters are all small and convenient, and they offer the best performance. Among them, you can find energy-efficient, eco-friendly, safe, adjustable, strong and steady devices. Depending on your needs and possible options, you can install them on your baseboard, wall or put anywhere you’d like in the room. They adjust to you while saving you money and keeping you warm.
Most of the heaters on the market have similar constructions and abilities. The prices in heaters can range from very little to very high, depending on the size, strength, and brand. If you are looking to save money and if your budget allows it, it might be time to consider investing in solar panels for your home. A solar system can lower your electricity bills magnificently in the long run.
Keep in mind that a small heater will not replace an HVAC system. However, in a location where the winters do not get that chilly, maybe a small heater is all you need. Using these heaters efficiently can help you stay warm on those cold winter nights and cut back on your energy bills.
1500W / 750W Ceramic Space Heater with Overheat Protection & Tip-Over Protection, Portable Heater with Thermostat Control for Office
$27.89 in stock
2 used from $26.50
- Portable Heater: 3 Modes for choosing; 1500W / 750W / Cool Blow Fan
- Safety Assurance: Overheat Protection & Tip-Over Protection
- Adjustable Thermostat Control: Remain the temperature at a comfortable level
- Small heater Measures: 6.2" X 7" x 9.2" portable for indoor tent desk office room
- Quiet Heating: Heat up places in minutes. The sound it causes will not disturb resting
Lasko #5775 Ceramic Tower Heater
$38.24 in stock
12 used from $35.18
- 1500 watts maximum output with low, high and thermostat controlled settings
- safe ceramic element with overheat protection and cool-touch housing
- Electronic thermostat and auto-off timer
- fully assembled, 22.75" tall.
- ETL Listed for safety
750W/1500W Ceramic Space Heater Portable Electric Heater with Overheats & Tip-Over Protection, Desktop Room Heater with Adjustable Thermostat for Office Indoor Home, Silver
- Three Settings: 1500-watt high heat, 750-watt low heat and normal cool blow fan.
- Safety: ETL certified Ceramic heater, Overheat Protection & Tip-Over Protection.
- Small heater Measures: 6.2" X 7" x 9.2", perfect for indoor, tent, desk, office, home.
- Adjustable Thermostat Control: Quiet and powerful soothing radiant heat, remain the temperature at a comfortable level.
- Quiet Heater: The sound it causes will not disturb resting
AUZKIN Space Heater Portable Heater Personal Heater Fan Electric Small Ceramic Heater for Office Bedroom Desk Home in Door Use,with Overheat Protection,Black
- 1 Second Heating: heating takes only one second without waiting. The fast heating system uses 600W and 950W heating mode while supporting a 45-degree rotation, allowing you to enjoy the warmth of winter comfortably.
- Ceramic PTC Heating Tech: Compared with the traditional heating tech, the heating speed is faster, the heating efficiency is higher, more energy-saving, no flame and no oxygen consumption.it will be more safety.
- Safety Protection System: We use the highest V0 level flame retardant PTC material. It will automatically close when the product overheats. If the product is accidentally knocked over, it also will automatically close. At the same time, we have passed the international ETL certification.
- Low Noise: This mini space heater work at less than 45db.The volume of 45db is like people whispering. Compared to the traditional heater, It is very quiet at work, reading or sleeping.
- Easy to Carry: Designed for personal close-up use. The compact size design makes the product extremely portable, allowing you to easily move the heater from the kitchen to the bedroom, office, dormitory, etc.
TRUSTECH Space Heater, 1500W Portable Heater, Up to 200sq, 3 Modes Adjustable, Tip-Over and Overheat Protection, Adjustable Thermostat, Fast Heat in 3s, PTC Heating Space heaters for Indoor Use
$32.99 in stock
- FAST WARM UP & UP TO 200SQ COVERAGE - Are you feeling freezing in the cold dorm or office? This room heater is made for those chilly days in your room or at the office. The compact size provides effective, consistent warmth for small rooms up to 200 sqft. This portable heater can quickly warm up the air around you within 3 sec! Stay warm and comfortable in any small space, this is the perfect space heaters for indoor use
- EASY CONTROL WITH 3 MODES - 1500W High heat, 750W Low heat and Natural Wind Mode are all included in 1 portable heater, providing efficient heat to every corners of the room with constant warmth during cold weather. You can easily set the switch control to any 1 of the 3 modes mode to reach your desired temperature. With the simple adjustable thermostat, this room heater could always keep your room temperature at the most optimal level and reduces your power consumption too
- TIP OVER & OVERHEATER PROTECTION - Automatic Overheat Protection system will shut the portable heater off when the parts of the heater overheat. In this way the space heaters for indoor use will cool down quickly to avoid overheating. Tip-Over Protection will shut off the room heater if it gets knocked over accidentally to avoid accident happens This space heater for office adopts innovative PTC technology, which does not generate heat at a constant rate like resistance wires
- SMALL & PORTABLE HEATER- Dimensions: 7.1 in W x 6.3 in D x 9.1 in H. Build-in carry handle, and lightweight (3.1Ibs) makes this space heater easy to be place in any room or move from the floor to the table. No more concern about taking up too much space in a crowded place. A perfect space heater for office and a thoughtful gift for your family & friends to meet the freezing winter
- QUIET ROOM HEATER & CUSTOMER SUPPORT - This room heater offers you a quiet space with extra comfort. Low noise will not disturb your resting, sleeping, reading, work, and so on. You will not distract by the sound at all, neither nor the people around you. Ideal to set this portable heater wherever you want to make warm. Let the space heaters for indoor use help you beat the chilly days. Also, we provide a lifetime customer support. You are totally risk free with our heater for small room
Ceramic Space Heater,1000W Electric Portable Heater 3 Setting Mode Electric Heater Fan Automatic shut off Personal Heater With Thermostat Tip-over & Overheat Protection For Home Bedroom Or Office
$35.99 in stock
- NOT ONLY A HEATER-The product has 3 mode setting (warm,hot and natural wind),not only can be used as a heater but also a cool fan. It is use one button to switch the mode ,easy operation.
- FAST HEATING - Our heater equipped with PTC ceramic heating elements, the heater can be heated quickly in just 3 seconds, with higher efficiency and longer life. Suitable for home, office and other personal spaces. The heater is lightweight and portable ,easy to carry to any corner.
- MULTIPLE SAFETY PROTECTION - Safety first, our heater body is made of fireproof materials with no bad chemical odor. Overheat,dump and over current protection without worrying about any safety issues.All products have passed CE certification.
- AUTOMATIC TURN OFF-The electric heater with automatic timing setting,It will automatically shut down after six hours of powering up each time.Don't worry about forgetting to turn off the heater when you sleep or leave the house
- BUY WITH CONFIDENC-Our small heaters are CE, ROHS, FC, PSE certified for absolute safety and durability. And we offer unconditional return and refund.If you have any question about our problem,please send us email,we will reply with 24 hours.
VIPEX Space Heater, VIPEX 1500W Electric Heater Portable Small Space Heaters for Office Home Room Indoor Use, Adjustable Temperature with Remote Control, Built-in Timer and Oscillation Setting
- 【Fast Efficient Heating for Warm】 Our space heater can quickly & evenly warm an entire room while maintaining a consistent temperature.
- 【Auto Shut Off】The heater is equipped with overheat protection and automatic anti-fall protection that it will shut off if the heater accidentally tipped over.
- 【Easy Control for Comfort】 Featured with remote control and 8-hour timer with auto-shutoff, you easily control the heater to maintain a steady comfortable temperature.
- 【Wide-angle Oscillation】You can activate the oscillation setting for wider coverage of warm.
- 【Portable for Easy Move】This heater is lightweight and portable, allows you to move it from room to room.
Author: Matthew James
Matt James is a freelance writer specialized in home improvement, smart technology, architecture & design. He has a love of outdoors and spending time with his dog Cooper. You can reach him on Facebook and Instagram.
We take a look at the safest space heaters you can use in any room.
Be notified about new posts
Sign up with your email for our newsletter and be notified when we publish new blog posts. Don’t miss valuable advices.